starting solids.

my son is 3 months old and he can pretty much sit up on his own for maybe a minute or so and i was thinking of starting solid foods. during the day hes eating 7 oz every 3-4 hrs and at nite he goes 8-9 hrs on 8 oz..it would just be very diluted oatmeal with formula. thats if he doesn't spit it out.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:32 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It isn't recommended that you start solids until baby is between 4-6 mo. (closer to 6 mo.). It is also not a good idea to give baby cereal mixed with formula or in a bottle. If baby isn't developmentally ready to take it on a spoon, then baby isn't ready to have solids. It doesn't sound like your baby is eating ALL THE TIME during the day, etc. so I would wait. (My daughter began nursing every 1-2 hours during the day around 4 mo., so I ended up starting solids early at 4.5 mo.)
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 5:41 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Personally I would wait until he is about 6 months old-or that's what I did and I read that it is better to wait at least until they're 4months old. Does he show signs that he wants to eat/is interested? Mine started following every move I made with my hands (when I ate) and even imitated me chewing. I would also wait until that reflex (not sure what it is called) that makes them push everything out of their mouth again stops (it is preobably less messy..lol)
    But when I started feeding solids I mixed breastmilk with baby cereal then moved over to carrots a week later. But that is just my opinion:) Good luck!
    januarymom81

Answer by januarymom81 at 5:46 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• i tried it a lil while ago and he didnt spit any of it out he loved it! should i continue?
    Anonymous

• You know, I did the same thing as you but I did what everyone said no to, put it in a bottle. He was fine. It wasnt chunky it was VERY VERY waterd down but yes it did help him sleep through the night, I dont know who said it doesnt, but every child is different. My son has been more on actual cereal for a month and a half. Your the mom, you make the call!
    momtobe3209

Answer by momtobe3209 at 1:47 AM on Jul. 18, 2009