my daughter ia almost 9 months and i want to stop the binkie??

i want to have her off the binkie befor she is a year old..how can i do that??what r someways i can get her to stop using one?? i could use some help?? lol pls

avahsmommie

Asked by avahsmommie at 4:41 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think the only way you can really do it is just not give it to her,
    my baby is almost 9 months and the binkey helps a lot I wouldn't get him of it until after 1 but thats just my opinion
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 4:48 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Children have strong sucking needs that are supposed to be met at the breast. Most children will wean on their own around age 3.

If you aren't breastfeeding and you take the pacifier away how is the child supposed to meet their sucking needs? Remember these are needs that have been part of human evolutin and pacifiers are a recent invention.

Do kids that aren't getting sucking needs met eating more? Drink more? What are the long-term effect?

I think children that aren't breastfed should be allowed to have a pacifer until they are ready to give it up. If you don't want to look at it then with your next child breastfeed.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:05 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Try cutting the tip off of it. A lot of times they'll consider it "broken" and won't get the sucking satisfaction anymore and will toss it on their own. That way, you're not taking away their best friend ....they're giving it up on their own.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 5:37 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I took mine off cold turkey, but that's just me. I did this by age 9 months when I switched them to cups and they were not going to be sucking on anything. They would not fuss more than a week, sometimes getting over it within a couple of days. I would do it when you are prepared and ready for some hard nights and days and make sure all of them are gone.

Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 11:45 AM on Jul. 20, 2009