When are putting your toddlers in preschool ??

Our 2.5 year old got excepted into preschool early (Aug.) ONLY if she was fully potty trained well since we are moving and I am expecting in Oct. we decided to wait till after Oct. to really start potty training since she really isn't 100% ready yet. THen I was talking to my mom and my mom thinks that we should even wait till she is 3.5 (Aug 2010) that way she can form a bond with the new baby and potty train since it's going to be so much on her if we tried to fit everything in just a few months. I am not really worried about waiting we work with her alot and she's already really smart so I don't think she'll have a problem if we waited.
Anyway I know ALOT of moms that don't put thier kids into preschool till 4 or they don't even put them in preschool at all.

baby1love

Asked by baby1love at 4:46 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• There is no reason to put your child in pre-school and plenty of reasons not to. The kinds of things kids learn could and should be learned in their every day lives. The children learn bad behaviors from each other. There is a high risk of infection. Why would anyone want their child to be socialized by a group of 2 or 3 year olds.

When you move look for a group of moms and preschoolers that meet together. You and your daughter can make friends.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:53 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Pre-K where I am is at 4 y/o which is probably the earliest that we would do it. We do have a "Head Start" program that will accept 3 y/o if there is a learning delay & you meet financial requirements.

Yours sounds like a really smart little girl, but I wouldn't want to rush her off to school just yet.(Regardless of the potty training.) Whenever she does start, she'll be in school a long time (13+ years), and if you are able to stay home with her, that's a great privilege that I would hang on to for now.
    Are you moving within your city or state? I do know that even when trained, that a life event such as moving can cause regression, and you already know that there will be some regression with the new baby coming. Good luck at whatever you decide!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 4:58 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

well that's contradicting. you don't think 2 or 3 year olds should socialize but you say to meet people with kids her daughters age and make friends...hhhmmm
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 4:59 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I tried that and I HATED the mommy groups the moms were VERY stuck up !! They would throw thier kids in a room and leave them so they could bitch about how they can't go shopping in peace anymore.
    My mom is a teacher and has been for 9 years she has seen the difference between kids that go and kids that don't and the kids that do go to preschool have been usually better off than the ones that dont' go so we think that she could learn from going to preschool and get used to the school environment since she will be in school for the next 12 years from then anyway .
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 5:01 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I say go for it. I used to be a preschool teacher, ones that did take 2yr olds. we started teaching them at 2 years old, and by 4 they knew how to write sentences, knew their vowels, numbers 1-50, or maybe more, ect. We moved out of state (courtesy of the army) and i can't find any place here that starts at 2, so i'm ordering stuff from the curriculum we used at the daycare and teaching him myself. it's not all just books, before i get bashed, it's books and hands on at the same time, it's great
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 5:03 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• That's how preschool works here. They have to be three and fully potty trained. If you want to put your child in preschool go for it. Some don't see a need for it where others do and use it. You can just walk out your door and get an infection so I wouldn't even let that be a reason why you should or shouldn't. We can't live in a bubble or let our children either. I used preschool with my older son and he loved it! Now my second son is going and he loves it too. Both actually cried when it was time to come home.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 5:09 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• armywife43, That's a great idea! We did homeschool our niece years ago, (she's grown & married now) but I never thought of getting some curriculum type books for our 2 y/o. Thanks for sharing!

OP-I didn't intend to discourage you from the pre-school, especially if you have one that will take your DD's age group. For me, I am just enjoying the time we have at home, and he'll be in school in just another couple of years. Many do great in it, best of luck to you.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 5:20 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• depends on the kid.

my oldest(8) was not ready for preschool and went straight to kindergarten at 5
    middle(6) started preschool at 3 and LOVED every minute
    youngest(3) I'm thinking of starting in sept. but might wait another year, she's not really 'into' it.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:34 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• We're not. But, if you want to put her in preschools, there are some that take them not potty trained. Initially, we were considering preschool, and the one we checked into said not potty trained was fine.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:10 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• We're not going to be sending our girls to pre-school...I just can't fathom paying all that money for tuition when I can easily teach them everything they'll need to know at home in a one-on-one setting. My mom "home-schooled" us for preschool and we knew more going into kindergarten than the kids that did go to preschool!

beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 9:40 PM on Jul. 17, 2009