At what age should a baby be put on a schedule?

That would be for eating and sleeping so they can get used to a pattern

1stTimeMom1982

Asked by 1stTimeMom1982 at 5:05 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• to maintain your sanity, as soon as possible. lol. my dd has been on a schedule since 4 weeks, i learned with my ds to do it early.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 5:10 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I did right away with my DD so I say as soon as you possibly can get them into that schedule go ahead and do it...Just be flexible in what you expect cause they usually have their own plans:)
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 5:13 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Thank you ladies, I need to work on that :-)
    1stTimeMom1982

Answer by 1stTimeMom1982 at 5:16 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• With my first, I waited until she sort of "fell" into a schedule and then just set it in stone. 4 mo. or so. With my next...as soon as possible...for my sanity! =)
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 5:35 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• My son figured out his own schedule between 6 and 8 weeks, we made routines near bedtime so he was used to things being the same, but schedules need to be flexible. Remember theres growth spurts, teething and many many other things that change daily life for baby and schedules will need to be changed for that...
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 5:50 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• birth
    RyleeMendez

Answer by RyleeMendez at 6:26 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I was told by my Ob and other nurses .. that they'll dictate their schedule for the first few months. Whereas that is true, I don't agree that a child should dictate a schedule for themselves. I believe that a child should be eased into a schedule that works for the parent and the child. This would be as early as birth. Sometimes it is easier said then done, depending on the child, but I think it is important. This helps the child know what to expect, which leads to an easier day/night for all involved.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:03 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• The first three months of his life, we HAD to feed him every 3 hours (he was 6 wks early). After that we have tried many different variations of a schedal but finally found one that works fab! Hes 5 1/2 months and we have been doing the same one for about a month now and its awesome!
    momtobe3209

Answer by momtobe3209 at 1:44 AM on Jul. 18, 2009