How do you get a 2-yr old to eat?????????

My daughter will eat cereal and drink milk. That is about the extent of it! She is allergic to citrus, but occassionally I can get a bannna in her. She takes vitamins but she is often getting colds etc. I have tried those vitamin filled shakes for kids. She won't do it! Any ideas?

CJarvis

Asked by CJarvis at 5:12 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• CAN YOU MAKE A SMOOTHY OUT OF THEM? by the way - how did you know she was allergic to citrus? My son has food allergies but we are having the hardest time figuring out what makes it happen
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:17 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Put some food in front of her and let it sit there for a while. Don't say anything to her. She will either eat it or wont..

Answer by louise2 at 5:19 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• How much fluid is she getting during the day? The biggest mistake parents make is allowing too many fluids...if they get all the calories they need from juice, then they won't eat solids. Limit her to 4 oz of juice, 4-6 oz of water and 2 cups of milk a day and see if that helps. Her body will naturally crave watery fruits and veggies if you cut back a little on the fluids. *Don't over do it though...it is the middle of summer!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 5:50 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• If she has had her second birthday, the only beverage that she needs is water.

This is one of the picky ages; how you handle this will determine if you are raising a child or goes through picky phases or an actual picky eater.

Frozen foods are fun for toddlers: peas, blueberries, and corn are favorites.

Kids love to dip: sliced fruit in yogurt, raw veggies in hummus, steamed veggies and whole wheat pasta in marinara or peanut sauce. Tofu cubes are fun to squish (and eat). avocado puddings are yummy healthy treats.

It is so important for you to see you eating healthy foods every day.

Keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually the phase will pass. Do not create another undernourished overweight child who only eats chicken nuggets and hotdogs.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:19 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• what i do with my son is sit him down in front of me, turn some cartoons on and feed him. if i let him feed himself he won't eat. the cartoons distract him and i can get him to eat a whole meal.
    Anonymous