should i start to discipline my son?

hes 15 months and he throws things and hits me (not to be malicious). is this something i should correct now or is it just a phase? i used to swat him through his diaper but he laughs when i do that, he thinks i'm playing with him so that doesnt work.

consistancy seems to be my problem, would it work if i shake my finger at him and tell him 'NO' in a stern voice? because i dont think he's old enough to understand the concept of a time out. how do you ladies discipline?

pookipoo

Asked by pookipoo at 5:37 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• Now is the time for you to learn parenting skills and build a retoire of tools to help your son learn how to behave and what is expected of him. Of course you want to teach him and not punish him.

Punishment does not teach good behavior. At best it stops a bad behavior. It usually doesn't do that on a long term basis. Punishment includes - spanking, swats, time outs,

Bad behavior is not a phase. It is an opportunity to help the child learn what is expected.

If your child is throwing blocks at you there is probably more than one solution. Does the child want your attention (this is different than doing it to get attention) the take the time to play with him. Are you in the way, then move. Is the child just out of control. Calmly pick up the blocks and put them high where he can't get them.

Great book Without Spanking or Spoiling by Elizabeth Crary. She has a website.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:57 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Mine are older and weuse time outs and spankings, at your son's age I would just take his hands and tell him no in a stern voice. If you are consistant he will learn not to do it.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 5:40 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I would spank him on his leg and tell him "no." We have a 13 month old who understands very well what "no" means.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:48 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• i think you are no the right track
    too young to get time out thing
    NO at this age can be effective, my girl would understand this
    she also threw things and "hit" but it was play like and not when she was mad
    i told her no but with very little emotion
    she started to get that it was not so fun because she got little attention from this behavior
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 5:49 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• No is the word toddlers hear the most. Then we wonder 'why is my toddler saying no all the time?' Because we say no so often it looses it's effect. We even loose our ability to protect our children.

How can we use no less often:
    Babyproof our homes and encourage our children to touch
    Don't worry about the small stuff
    Teach the word gentle
    Make an attention getting noise to avoid messes -
    I make a noise like uhuhuh if I fogot to pick up dog bowl of water and toddler is going for it
    Save no for dangerous or important things
    Teach stop for dangerous things
    Teach sign language

My son and DIL don't say no to their baby and I haven't got them to change much. When they take care of the baby there is lots of Nos and crying. I take care of him there is minimal crying and there aren't any situations where I am tempted to say no. Same kid, same house, different set of beliefs and skills.

Go to google to find
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:16 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• interesting, thanks :]
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 6:28 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Correct it now! Time outs, eh, maybe he'll understand, but they will be very brief. We held our little one's hand, looked her in the eye, and said "no hit, gentle touches" After a few weeks, when we saw her about to be rough, we could remind her "gentle touches" and she would remember. I have never had to spank my babies.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 6:45 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I think you hit the nail on the head - consistency is key!!
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 6:46 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• You're right. Your son may not understand the concept of diciplin or time outs, but the earlier you start, the easier it will be for him to understand. My son is nine months old and he gets told "No" in a stern voice when he does something he's not supposed to. Sometimes he listens right away and finds other things to do, and other times not. The second time I physically take him away from what he's doing and say "No". As your son, my son doesn't understand time-outs, but I still put him in a time out. I give him one warning. For example: "I said "No" and if you do it again you're going in your high chair." (Or Crib) Again sometimes he listens and sometimes not. Then I tell him "I said "No", now you're going in your high chair." He will fuss and I will explain to him why. He may not understand right now completely, but I'm finding the more consistant I am, the less he gets into what he shouldn't. Although some days are harder.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:57 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I ran out of room .. Children are sponges and they will take in whatever they can. The earlier they learn something the easier it will be for them later on. That goes for diciplin as well. Yes, they will push their bounderies and your buttons some days, but knowing their bounderies is important for their development. It is your choice how you diciplin your child and sometimes you have to go through the book before finding one your child will respond to. However, I very much believe that starting early (even when they're just starting to become mobile) that you should teach them right from wrong.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:00 PM on Jul. 17, 2009