How do you get hair mats out of long haired cats? without having to take them to a groomer?

our one long furred cat has ALOT of matted fur. it is basically her entire coat on her body. The thing is we do not have the money to take her to a groomer and was wondering if any one knows how to take care of matted fur?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:41 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Pets

• We have acquired a long haired cat- we were told she needed daily combing by her way overly attentive former mom (funny how she was able to just leave her behind!!)... anyways- she spends a good deal of time (now!!) outside- I trimmed her tummy fur a bit shorter, and remove small mats when I find them- but between her own grooming and occasional *help* from our big male- she has been fine.
    You should never shave a furred animal down to it's skin and let it outside- it can get sunburned (to death!) or heatstroke- their temperature regulators are built to work WITH their fur- not w/o...
    We also have an Akita mix and he gets miserable in this heat- he loves it when it snows!! But we do not shave him- he just likes to go hide under the house where it is cool during the day.
    Animals will take care of themselves fairly well if we allow them to...
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 4:25 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Yup...I groom. Just use little scissors. Cut as close to the skin as possible. But when you're done, you need to get in the habit of brushing her every day.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 5:43 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• i have a long hair
    do not bathe them-i did it made it worse
    like washing a wool sweater
    (my cat does like baths)
    i watch for them and cut them out with a scissors before they get big
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 5:45 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• my step dad has the same problem with r oldest cat hes a long hair and he goes out side in the summer they make it a habbit to sit on the porch for a hr just picking out birdochs, slugs, and discovering new mattes wich he makes me cut them out. i dont know how my youngest long hair does it he stays clean when hes out...lol
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 7:38 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• When you get a little cash go get a cheap hair trimmer (the kind that you use on people is fine). I have a long hair and he gets matted all the time so i got a 5 or 10 dollar shaver and i shave him every few months it is safer than scissors and once they see that it wont hurt them they seem to like it. But until you can get a shaver try to brush out what you can and i have found that if you wash your cat condition its fur and leave it on as long as you can try brushing it while the conditioner is in ti just like peoples hair.
    Alie1313

Answer by Alie1313 at 11:16 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• You will need to regularly groom your cat. But to remove the matts you will either need to cut them out or they do have dematting brushes you can buy. But personally its a lot nicer to just cut them out.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 10:06 AM on Jul. 19, 2009