Is it possible for my 2 yr old to make herself get a fever from too much playing and not enough sleep???

So Saige has been back to her good old self for about 2 days now. She was playing and having fun with my mom's god daughter who is here visiting from FL well anyways.... they were playing and Saige didn't take a nap and then all of a sudden she had a fever of 100.6 Is it possible for her to have worn herself out and her body just started to run a fever? Could she of played too hard and been too tired??? I was just wondering why she would get a little fever like that for no reason at all. I mean she has been fine all day long!!!! I gave her a luke warm bath and brought it down and then I made her eat a pop ice and take some tylenol.... I don't want another puking episode like I had the other day. So is it possible for her to make herself get a fever from too much playing and not enough sleep??? Please any input would be great!!!

pcricket1008

Asked by pcricket1008 at 5:52 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm no doctor but I'm gonna say "No". A fever is the bodies way of telling you something is wrong and to kill off whatever is making you sick. JMO, watch her and take her temp again when she has relaxed for a while.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 6:05 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• My dd used to get temps overheated. How old is she? That is a raise in temp but not really a fever unless she's sick with other sickness symptoms too. So her body can give her a rise in temp reading from being overheated and overactive, that's not necessarily a temp that accompanies sickness. Kids can also puke from overexcitement and from anxiousness. Mine used to puke from the stress of strep tests, her sickness was sore throat, higher fever, ear aches, resp. illness her illness was not then puking stomach flu or virus. How old is dd?
    Anonymous

• sorry, I see dd is too. being second responder here again, my response agrees with first responder.
    Anonymous

• You said she was sick a few days ago....I'd say she's still sick, illnesses don't always stay the same, the can have different symptoms over a few days. I'm also not a doctor, but I'd say keep an eye on her, and watch for other symptoms. You didn't say how old she is, but sometimes very young children don't know how to let you know what symptoms they have, and if they're playing, they don't want to be sick, and forced to stop, so watch for things she may not say, and ask her some questions......hope she feels better soon.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 6:10 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• my boys will run slight fevers if they are dehydrated...not severely, just mildly. I talked to my DR and she said her girls are the same way. She will give them a glass of water, milk, juice, etc and then check it again. I have to constantly remind them to take drinks from their water bottles while they are playing...otherwise they will just keep playing until they are utterly exhausted. Hope this helps, and hope she is feeling better soon!
    almemoore

Answer by almemoore at 9:49 AM on Jul. 18, 2009