Do you think the government should regulate birth certificates more?

This is my understanding, please correct me if I am wrong.
The way it stands now a woman can give her baby any last name she wants and put any man she wants in the "father" category. It doesn't matter whether or not he is the real dad or even if she has ever met him. Whatever the mom decides to put goes onto the official, government document birth certificate. There have been more than a few cases of child support where a man who is not the father of a baby ends up paying child support, or has to go through the court system to prove he is not the dad. Which is a lot of time, money, and hassle to put a "innocent" man through.
Doesn't it seem a little ridiculous that a woman can write down whatever she wants with no proof, and no repercussions if she is found to have put false information on a government document?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:55 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I am glad someone else feels this way too! My brother has been recently dealing with a situation similar to this. A girl he went to high school with was obsessed with him for years. He even went as far as to get a restraining order from her a while back. About a year ago she had a baby and put HIS name on the birth certificate! The baby has his last name! He is married with two kids. This stress almost ended his marriage. His poor wife didn't know what to think or do. She doubted him when he swore up and down he had never had sex with this (crazy) woman. It took almost an entire year of child support hearings to get everything cleared up. He was willing to give a DNA sample right off the bat, but of course, the woman was reluctant to let the courts take her baby's DNA. My brother and his family are finally free of this mess after much stress. The baby does still have his last name though, that hasn't changed.
    Anonymous

• No,it is not. Important thing is that kid will have document what will show were she/he was born.

Anonymous

• Ewww...anonymous....I can't believe she is that crazy! I would be worried about the kinda stuff she would try later to your brother. I hope she wouldn't try to take one of his actual kids! I wonder if they can file something against her to make sure she stays away and can't name her future children after him! That is seriously disturbing!!!
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 6:04 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Simply put the usual signature at the bottom of the information form - " I attest, under penalty of perjury, that the above information is true" and mothers will have repercussions for lying. Then if a person is impacted by her lie, they'll have recourse to get it straightened out.

A victim of a lie SHOULD have access to a ready redress, but I don't think it would be sane to create gov't-wide pre-checks and tests, etc. for these exceptions to the norm.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 6:08 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• "No,it is not. Important thing is that kid will have document what will show were she/he was born"

Anon you don't think it is important to have the information on a birth certificate correct? There doesn't have to be a name under father to show where and when the baby was born.

Yes I think it is very important that either the real dad, or no dad is put on the certificate. It is ludicrous that any name the mom feels like putting can go on the birth certificate.
    aprilmommy123

Answer by aprilmommy123 at 6:10 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I used to work for Vital Records amending certificates. In the state of Tennessee the kid gets her legal last name. Even if her husband is not the father he is still listed as the father and a court order has to remove it OR they put "mother refused information". If parents are not married (in TN) they fill out a Voluntary Acknowledgment of Paternity. It is the form to add the father and change the last name to the father legal last name or a combination of the father and mother legal last name. The VAOP has to be signed by both parents and in front of a Notary. A mother cannot just pull some name out of thin air she has to be able to prove it. This is law for the State Of TN of states may vary.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 6:13 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Oh I also forgot to add that if the mother has been divorced from the husband under a period of time (I think 7 months I dont remember), even though she is divorced and her boyfriend is the father than the x-husband still has to be listed as the father and removed with a court order, or put it in the divorce decree or "mother refused information".
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 6:15 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• In NY if you are SINGLE *( UNMARRIED) the father's name doesnt GO ON the Birth Certificate. Unless the man acknowledges the baby is his, in front of JUDGE, or written afadavit. Or by BLOOD TEST.

KInd of keeps the crack house crazy ones in check.
    PestPatti

Answer by PestPatti at 6:19 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Every state is different. My DH had to sign a form in order to put his name as father, and we were married at the time.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 6:28 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Umm... the only TRUE thing about your question is the part where the mom can give the child any first and last name she pleases.. as for putting down the father, it will be left BLANK unless the "father" gives consent and signs the birth certificate.

FYI- Maybe men should sign BC's if theyre doubting the paternity.

I gave my youngest son his fathers last name because I KNOW its his child, though he doubts paternity, which will be resolved soon. Since my ex didnt come to the hospital to sign the BC, the FATHER part is blank.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 6:36 PM on Jul. 17, 2009