Does your kid do this to you?

My son acts like a saint for certain other people. But the minute I get him he turns evil. I don't understand. Before you say it....no he does not get his way or get away with doing things with me..... which is why I am really baffled. My grandfather actually made a comment to my aunts this past weekend when we were visting about how well manored and behaved he is. HA
I am a single mom, his dad is not around at all, and I work my ass off to provide for him and raise him right. I must admit my feelings get kind of hurt by this.
Does anyone elses kid do this?
Any insight?
Thanks

mommymeg03

Asked by mommymeg03 at 6:14 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• EVERY kid does this. :) Kids like to test their parents. My son is very well mannered at preschool but when I keep him home with me he will throw tantrums like no other. I also have a daycare and ALL of my daycare kids act up as soon as their parents walk through the door. I believe that when your child is well behaved for other people it means you're raising them right. :)
    vnw1405

Answer by vnw1405 at 6:20 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• It can be hard to act great around everyone especially if you aren't feeing so great. Children then come home and don't behave well for their single mom. They are so comfident in their relationship with her that they can be at their worst and she won't leave.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:23 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• My son is the same. My MIL told me he was to well mannered. I took it as a compliment she meant there may be something wrong. However, she doesn't see him at home.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 6:37 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• no my kid is a pain in the ass to everyone else just like he is to me, lol but I still love him
    this whole deal will pass some kids just do that
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 6:37 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I have been experiencing the exact same thing with my daughter! My husband just left me and all of the sudden she is acting like Jeckl and Hyde! I think the problem with my situation is that she's kinda wrapped around daddy's little finger and he's been manipulating her into blaming all things on me.She used too be so kind and warm with me!
    flowerchid72

Answer by flowerchid72 at 6:37 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• And of course I understand that a divorce is very hard on children,but I still try to maintain a sense of structure.,fun ,love and support.
    flowerchid72

Answer by flowerchid72 at 6:42 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• My kids do this also. They'll be with the babysitter or visiting their grandma, then as soon as I get there, they run amok. Whoever was watching will say "They were just fine before you got here!" So I say "ok I'll leave then!" Just kidding. Don't take it personal, he probably just feels more comfortable with you. Be glad he has the others fooled!!
    Anonymous

• Every child does this. Its just the way they are. They love to see what mom will let them get away with. They dont test limits with other people I guess. Just know its completely normal and remember to be consistent. Good luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 7:34 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I was told it is a sign of comfort! meaning they are very comfortable with you and react like that!! What a way to show love right?! Don't be hurt, he is happy with you and loves you! Also testing his limits... GL!!! At least he is good for other people :)
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 8:14 PM on Jul. 17, 2009