Please any tips or advice for getting him to go to sleep on his own ?

My son will be 7 months next week and I'm trying to get him to fall asleep at night without having to be rocked for 45 minutes and have a bottle. I don't want him to just scream for hours. Any tips appreciated

Butterflysky_24

Asked by Butterflysky_24 at 6:30 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Other than crying themselves to sleep, I have no ideas. From day 1 after giving birth to my son I laid him down in his crib at bedtime wide awake and he has always put himself to sleep within minutes. I knew I never wanted to go through the transition you are going through now.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 6:34 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• put him down when he's drowsy. if he cries, let him cry for about 15-20min, go in there, lay him back down, tell him it's bedtime, give him a kiss, and leave the room. repeat this if he's still awake and crying, only don't say anything, just give him a kiss and lay him down. keep repeating this, that way he understand you're still there, he just needs to go to sleep. did this with my kids and worked great
    Anonymous

• I gave birth to 3 boys and the first 2 times I went through the same thing. But now I have a 20 month old and this I decided I wasn't going through that if I could help it. When he would get cranky and there was nothing I could do to make him happy I would lay him in his playpen he cried for just a little while and would go to sleep shortly after that.
    Patty414

Answer by Patty414 at 9:43 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• lay him down when he is drowsy or just irratiable and fussy (as long as he has had a bottle and changed diaper that is and you have tried everything to get him to calm down) I started on my son when he was 2 months old doing this and by 2 1/2 months he could put himself to sleep pretty easily. Now he is 6 1/2 months. It will prob take a bit longer b/c he is used to being rocked but he will figure it out. Just be consistant
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 12:32 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I have twin boys that are 8 months next week and they have been going to sleep on their own since I brought them home. What we do is feed them their baby food, give them a warm bath,I do rock them and give them their last bottle but put them in their bed. When they are in theri bed I talk to them softly, kiss them, turn on the mobile and turn of some soft music. I then leave the room and within 15 mins they are out. Good Luck !
    blessedmomma08

Answer by blessedmomma08 at 12:59 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• From day one we have had a routine. We would give a bottle and when hes kindof falling asleep put him in his crib so he could relate crib and sleep. The first night we didn thave to wake him up every 3 hours to feed (he was a premie) he woke up a couple hours after putting him down, he was kindof crying, so for only 5 min he did that and fell back asleep. Now he does fine!
    Now that hes 5 months, our new routine is solids, bath, bottle, snuggle, then bed. I always have soft music playing at night. The first night.
    momtobe3209

Answer by momtobe3209 at 1:40 AM on Jul. 18, 2009