When do you move kids from a car seat to a booster?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:52 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• Don't car and booster seat have weight requirement on them. Like weigh between 20 and 50 lbs.

Answer by louise2 at 6:55 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• My son's car seat harnesses to 50 pounds. I will keep him in it until he reaches that weight or is too tall for the seat.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 7:00 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Personally, I won't take my kids out of a harness until at least 65 lbs. I believe the laws state 4 yrs and 40 lbs though.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:13 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Every state has a different law. My state's is 40 pounds AND 4 years old, but I will probably keep her in it a little longer for safety reasons. You can google your states info and find out what the laws are.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 7:22 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Well you can buy boosters with harnesses on them. Once theyve grown out of a convertible carseat height wise, then move them to a booster with a harness. Its best to harness them as long as you can get away with it. I think I harnessed my 3rd child until he was 5 maybe 6. He is 7 1/2 now and even though the carseat says 80 lbs, theres no way he would fit into a booster. Hes about 60 lbs. He does however, fit into a backless booster. It just makes him higher so the seatbelt will fit him better. Just try him out in a booster with a harness and see how it fits. Its individual for each child, but just base it on weight and height and not age. Good luck!
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 7:29 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• 4 years and 40 pounds is the MINIMUM. It is best to keep your child harnessed to 5-6 years old. Not many 4 year olds can sit in a booster 100% correctly 100% of the time. Which means, no falling asleep out of position, no reaching for toys, etc.

Visit car-seat.org, a car seat forum, to learn more about this topic. Or, PM me :)
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 8:21 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Oh, the best bet for a seat that will harness longer is the Graco Nautilus, whic harnesses to 65 pounds, and turns both into a high back and low back booster to 100 pounds. It's only like $120-$150, and will be the last seat you need.

Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 8:23 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• varies state to state. My son could be in a booster at 30 pounds and 40 inches. No rush though.
    Anonymous