Babies and Sign Language

I would just like to know if any of you have taught your children sign language. If so, what age did you start teaching them and what methods did you use?

Tsmith424

Asked by Tsmith424 at 6:57 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We taught our girls. We started out with more; please; thank you and food. When we gave them food or asked them if they wanted food (for example) then we did the sign. Just do it and say the word, they'll pick up on it. Now our daughters don't really use the signs, they just say the words. But it helped a lot.
    LaceyAM

Answer by LaceyAM at 7:02 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I started teaching my daughter at 8 months. American sign language, food, please, thank you, drink, more, all done, dog, cat, mommy, daddy, diaper, toilet, and a lot of others. She caught on really quick and we just keep adding signs every week. Plus, the words she can't pronounce she uses the sign for so I will say it and she tries to repeat it.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 7:10 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I'm teaching my grandson. I started with clapping so everyone would give him a reaction at about 8 months. He is getting the hang of more. He does other signs at just random times. He is almost 10 months.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:16 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I taught both of mine. I would do the sign while I said it and read books with pictures of baby's doing signs, they enjoyed them. My oldest at 6 months and she really took off iwth it. Had a huge vocab. at 12 months it was wonderful. My youngest wanted to say the words, so only learned the basic needs, eat, drink, all done, more, sleep. But it helps, since there little world does revolve more around the basics. Neigther of them use it any more, they talk but I was glad that we did it. There are tons of wedsites. Find one with a free video dictionary, so you can learn all the signs you need, that is were we got most of our signs and we made some up to.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 7:34 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• my brother is deaf and he lives with us. I sign everythign, everyday. It is habit after years of doing it. My kids are all tri-lingual. English, spanish and ASL. American sign language is a seperate language unto itself. It is easiest to teach youngsters. If your child is not deaf encourage them everyday, every sign to speak the word as well as sign. Speech delays can develope in hearing children if this is not emphasized. It is an excellent way to communicate with babies..but always say the words outloud.
    Anonymous

• I love the Signing Times series. They also have a website- signingtime.com.
    warrenfamily95

Answer by warrenfamily95 at 7:54 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I have taught all four of my kids. I started with each of them about six months with some very easy signs for basic needs. Some of them I used ASL and some of the signs we used are specific to our family - they worked for us and everyone close knew what they were.

Answer by missanc at 8:59 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• little words. mommy, daddy, cat, dog, please, thank you, more. and ABC's
    Anonymous

• Thank you ladies! I really appreciate your help
    Tsmith424

Answer by Tsmith424 at 2:40 PM on Jul. 18, 2009