Whats a good age to put a kid in a toddler bed?

i am a 1st time mom and my daughter will b 1 in less then 13 days. and i want to buy her one for her birthday but i am not when a good age for that.... please comment

mjsmom09

Asked by mjsmom09 at 7:21 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• it depends on what kind of toddler bed too! some are higher and some are more safe than others, my son will be 1 on the 23rd of this month and he just went into his big boy toddler bed yesterday. It is a little tikes race car bed. They are low to the ground have all the safty rails and he loves it, he is acually sleeping better and he loves it cause hhis puppy can sleep at his feet...
    Anonymous

• I moved my dd over at 14 months... a friend had given me a toddler bed so I used that. Otherwise, I would go with a twin bed and put bedrails up! Put the matress on the floor to begin with that way if your little girl falls off she won't fall but a few inches and won't get hurt. As far as a good age, when your daughter starts climbing the crib they say is a good time. Mine was tangled up in the bars (to where her limbs were purple at times) when I came in to get her.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 7:24 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• also they make that race car bed in girls version it is so cute, its a carraige
    Anonymous

• I'm glad somebody posted this!! We are trying to get my 18 month old into a toddler bed...because well, we need the crib. lol. My 5 year old was older than 18 months when she went into a bed so again I'm glad somebody asked this.
    LaceyAM

Answer by LaceyAM at 7:33 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• To me, a toddler bed is a waste of money. Both of mine skipped it, and went straight into regular twin beds with bed rails. My daughter was a crib-bailer, and after the second time of landing on her head, I had her in a big girl bed at about 15 months. We took her for new sheets and big girl pajamas (2 piece, instead of a sleeper) and she just never looked back. (I thought I never would get my son to give up the crib, and I ended up having to rush him some because I wanted to put the crib away several months before his sister arrived.) He was past 2.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 7:37 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• My son's crib converted into a toddler bed but even with the rails he was falling out. So, he went straight into a twim sized mattress on the floor. We eventually got a bed surround. It's like those pop-up tents for playhouses, but fits over the bed, we got him Thomas the Tank, with his padded toy box up again the one side and the wall on the other he didn't fall out and he LOVES sleeping inside Thomas every night. They have princess ones such as:

You'll see other designs like Dora and such but here is the company that makes them, and shows what the Disney Princess bed surround:

http://www.playhut.com/ez_twist/sub/sub1.php?p=8
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 7:38 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I have not converted my girls beds yet. DD1 will be 3 next month, and DD2 is 19 months. DD1 will only get out if you leave the rail down.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 7:43 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• thanks.. well i know she can sleep in a toddler bed cuz we was at a friends and she was sleeping in it for a few hrs while we was hanging out and she did a great job. the one i want to buy her is a dora one from walmart and sits just about 6inches to a foot of the floor.. yea her bed is a convertable bed too but i want to have that put up so that if i have another one soon it can have the crib. she loves dora so i thought that would be great.. thanks for the answers
    mjsmom09

Answer by mjsmom09 at 7:46 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• also, my dd liked getting out of the bed..... i took her toys and put them in the living room leaving her books in there only. She has a nightlight and when it's bedtime, I shut the door until she is asleep. She likes to sit in there and sing with her music or play with her toes. But when I got to bed, I always open her door so she can come get me anytime during the night!!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 8:11 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• with my son I moved him at 18 months. My daughter is currently 18 months and is still in her crib. It depends on the kid I think. I knew my son would stay in his bed when I put him in it 80 % of the time. I know DD would for sure not! She would be up and about 300 times before she would fall asleep. She may be in her crib til she's 2.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:30 PM on Jul. 17, 2009