My 5month old son doesnt want to eat anymore What is wrong???

My son breat feeds in the morning and around 12 afternoon he refuses to drink from the bottle... i was thinkin he is teething.. but he hardly eats now... he use to drinks about 6 or 7 oz of milk but now that he made 5months the 11th he drinks about 4 or 5 oz.
He only drinks the formula when it seem that he is really really hungry.. other than that he would drink water.
He drinks alot of water.. i start to introduce solids he gives me a hardtime but i understand its new and practice makes perfect.. but if he doesnt want to drink the formula or eat the solids but drink water ..... is he gettin enough then?? and i cant breast feed to exchange for the formula cause im noticing a decrease in my breast milk produce...
PLEASE HELP .. he eats atleast 3 bottles of formula a day and i kno that isnt good he would drink water anytime and a good amount to. can it be he is teething or is it cause he is growing???
HELP

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:35 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i think its because he was breast fed for so long that the formula fills him up faster and for longer. If you started the cereals already that fills them up for longer also. Count the diapers.

STOP GIVING HIM ALOT OF WATER! it can kill him!

If he is very active he will probly be more hungry but if he isnt jumping everywhere and trying to roll the time and completely a monkey like mine was i think hes okay. He will take what he needs dont worry and remember please stop the water untill hes like 10-12 months.
    sunshine067

Answer by sunshine067 at 9:04 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Yes it could be cause his teething and could also be growing. I would call the doctor on monday or tomorrow and speak to the doctor about your concerns.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 7:41 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• When my son is teething he stops drinking from the bottle almost completely unless it's in the morning, after a nap, and maybe at night, but even then we're still fighting with him to eat something. Not sure if that is it, but that's what happens with my son. He is getting his 6th tooth now and every time the same thing happens.
    Anonymous

• "and i cant breast feed to exchange for the formula cause im noticing a decrease in my breast milk produce..."

The formula is causing that decrease....if he seems to want the breast, give it. THAT will bring your supply up.

Babies don't starve themselves. He'll take what he needs.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:58 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• And BTW...drop the water entirely. You run the risk of water intoxication. His liquids should be breastmilk or formula, and no solids till he takes one or the other of those. Solids are dessert.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:59 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• go back to all breast if he's refusing the bottle, if you start up again the flow will increase

I'd drop the water too, and solids until he's taking breast or bottle again.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 8:06 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Refuse bottles and nurse nurse nurse, the milk will come, count diapers if he gets about 6 a day then hes getting enough milk from you. WATER will KILL your baby, its called water intoxication and almost killed this baby
    http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/28030635/from/ET/
    http://chemistry.about.com/b/2006/01/17/water-intoxication-babies.htm
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 8:27 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Babies under 6 months aren't supposed to have water.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:16 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• He is way too young for water. This is filling his tummy and he is not getting the nutrition that he needs; this can cause brain damage, or worse. Can you exclusively breast feed for awhile? he World Health Organization, operating without the influences of the dairy, formula and porn industries (unlike American doctors) recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of 24 months.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:40 PM on Jul. 17, 2009