If you live in Arizona, would you say its 'summer all year round'?

My husband would like to move us to Arizona once he graduates college, so we've been contemplating the idea of moving there but aren't sure on the area. First we were thinking Scottsdale...then we saw a lot of pics online of the area, Surprise, so we were thinking maybe there. He use to live in Tempe, and prefers somewhere other then there. We're in Oregon now, this is where I grew up & am not sure how I'll take the heat lol but hubby thinks I'd do fine. So I am just curious how the weather is year round and what towns you would suggest us moving to? We would prefer a more diverse area...somewhere not too too busy but not too boonies/desert like. Just a nice place to raise a family in & hubby to have a good job in technology.

pickledpeanut

Asked by pickledpeanut at 7:51 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Home & Garden

Level 1 (-50 Credits)
  • It's not necessarily summer all year. The way I always say it is that in Michigan (where I'm from) you stay inside in the winter because it's too cold, and you play outside in the summer. Here you hide in your house in the summer because it's too hot, and you play outside in the winter when it's cooler. Scottsdale is really pretty, but it's also really hot there. My great aunt lives there. We've lived in Tucson and we're in Sierra Vista right now. It's about 15-20 degrees cooler here than in Tucson, but Tucson is like 15-20 degrees cooler than Phoenix. Scottsdale is right before Phoenix. It is nice. My hubby has a great job here which is good. The bugs are kind of gross. I honestly don't think there's a ton for kids to do here. Good luck with the move!
    Hannah22

Answer by Hannah22 at 8:21 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I lived in the Phoenix area (Scottsdale, Tempe, Chandler, Mesa) for many years. I'm shocked at the changes when I go back to visit now... it's really gone downhill. For that reason, I really can't recommend anywhere that's nice at this point. I'm sure there are lots of nice areas, I just don't know them.

As for the heat, that's why I left. When the airport has to be shut down because they can't prove the runways are long enough to get the planes off the ground, it's too hot. It hit 122 that day - the airport charts only went up to 120. It was awful! I got tired of burning my legs and hands every time I got in my car, of feeling like I was living in a convection oven all the time. Yes, it's cooler in the winter. But I can't remember the last Christmas Eve when it was cool enough to use a fireplace - usually my mom has all the doors open and it's still hot in the house. Too hot for me!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:14 AM on Jul. 18, 2009