Do fathers have rights over an unborn child?

I asked this question this morning in the newcomers group. Read their answers here: http://www.cafemom.com/group/416/forums/read/9389339/Do_fathers_have_rights_over_an_unborn_child and give us your own answer!!!

Llamatron

Asked by Llamatron at 8:06 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Just for Fun

• unborn- no, as long as it is in the mother's body the father has no say. At least that is what I have always thought. Because the man cannot prove the baby is his until a DNA test.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 8:08 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• they can do DNA tests before the baby is born.
    Anonymous

• They don't but I think they should.
    Anonymous

• A father dont have rights unless u get a court order for support, IMO, no one can tell u YOU HAVE TO let him see the child, unless he sues u I dunno, not a lawyer.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 8:17 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I asked the same question while back and no one seemed to get my point... I asked why is it that a man and a woman are both involved in the pregnancy. Here are 2 different scenarios. (1) A woman gets pregnant and ultimately decides she doesn't want the baby. She has an abortion. She is now home free of all responsibility for this child. (2) A woman gets pregnant and decides to keep the baby. The man involved ultimately decides he does not want the baby. Yet he is still held responsible for child support. In both scenarios someone wanted out but only one got it. I understand a man can 'walk away' but not legally. A woman can.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:21 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• It makes no sense to me at all. It seems to me that both parties were involved in the creation of the situation and both parties should have a say in the out come.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:22 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• A woman can make the choice to have an abortion because it is her body that carries the child. If a man were to get pregnant, then he'd have the right to decide if he wants to continue the pregnancy. Until the man is the one who goes through nine months of pregnancy and X amount of hours of labor and delivery then no he should not have any say over whether the woman continues the pregnancy or not.

That would open up a flood gate for him to tell the woman that she has to have an abortion because he does not want to be a father. You can't just look at the one side of the case because there are many facets that go into it.

Bottom line is, two people make a baby so those two people are responsible for the child at birth. While the child is in the woman's womb, the child is her responsibiltiy. You can't divide custody of a pregnancy.
    zava_t

Answer by zava_t at 8:32 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• It's true that a man could say, 'I don't want the baby so have an abortion' but if in fact the woman does want the baby and is willing to have the baby with out the monetary support of the father fine. The man should still get the same option to walk away from the responsibility. It's purely the fact that a man is forced into paying child support for a child he never wanted while a woman can 'opt out' and be free of the responsibility. I do not in any way shape or form think that a man should be able to tell a woman that she has to have an abortion. I do think he should have the right to 'walk away' responsibility free if he chooses not to be involved from the beginning. in the same note why would anyone think that an abortion would have no effect on the father if he did in fact want the child? Would it not be devastating for him to know his child's fate?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:43 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I think I should elaborate that the question should be : SHOULD fathers have rights to their unborn children?
    Llamatron

Answer by Llamatron at 8:46 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Let me also say: THIS DOES NOT MEAN THAT THE FATHER CAN FORCE AN ABORTION. IF THE MOTHER WANTS IT, SHE CAN HAVE IT. I AM JUST SAYING THAT IF THE FATHER WANTS THE BABY AND THE MOTHER DOESN'T, HE SHOULD HAVE TO RIGHT TO STOP AN ABORTION.
    Llamatron

Answer by Llamatron at 8:50 PM on Jul. 17, 2009