Child behavior and steroids in food....

My son I know has a sever reaction to steroids. He was put on them for 3 days when he had croup as a 2 year old. During those 3 days we considered shipping him to whatever country was furthest from our house. He was cranky and down right violent! WE have been having behavior problems with him for the last few years since. he is now 5. The Doctor wants him tested by a psychologist to rule out some mental disorders but I am just curious...Could all the hormones and steroids in our milk cheese vegetables and especially meat be causing his behavior? She never mentioned food testing but I am going to ask when we go back in soon. I am just really curious if a small body is taking in so much altered foods can it affect him if he does in fact have sensitivity to steroids as we discovered already...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:10 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would try and change the diet. Try organic and see if he changes. I'm sure it won't happen overnight but it's worth a shot.

Anonymous

• ::OP:: his behavior after the 3 days of meds was much better but he has always been kind of challenging... he has violent tantrums at least 3-4 times a week lasting for up to an hour at a time. Self hitting throwing toys, hitting me or his sister...
    Anonymous

• It may have an affect on your son. It's the same thing with the glucose free diet that a lot of parents of austistic children are trying and getting results. Not saying your son is autistic. Just making a comparison on how diet can affect behavior. It may be something you should talk to a dietician or nutritionist about.

As another mom said, try some organic milks, chesses, and veggies. You might not see immediate results but it's at least worth a shot. And I'd think that having him talk to a therapist might not be a bad idea either because a child therapist might be more inclined to try alternative therapies (like an organic diet) as opposed to medications.
    zava_t

Answer by zava_t at 8:17 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• ::OP::I can't really afford to go all organic. We only have about 100 dollars a week left over after bills so that's food and clothing and co-pays and car repairs...you get the idea...So for me to try it he would have to be diagnosed with something so maybe i could get him some food stamps or SSI. It's not my number one choice of course. i don't WANT gov't aid but if I do end up having to go all organic...what else can i do?
    Anonymous

• First, get rid of all HFCS, and regular corn syrup and do not replace it with Sorbitol which is the same thing as HFCS. If you see an improvement, great, if not try getting rid of dyes and gluten. My son is severely allergic to HFCS, CS, and Sorbitol. He gets violent, can't focus, angry, emotional, aggravated, and even more impulse control problems. It sounds hard to do, but really it isn't that bad. Being diagnosed with an allergic reaction won't get him disability and probably not food stamps either. Autism, on the other hand, might. I feed our family of 6 with about $150-$175 a week in groceries. Special bread and jelly and lots of homemade food. It sounds like you guys might be a family of 3, so I would think that you could get away with less than $100. We do not buy anything with any of his allergies, so NO sodas, candies, pre-made cookies, etc. We make it ourselves, or we don't eat it. Works well for us. cont.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 9:12 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• We only buy organic when we have to, like ketchup, BBQ sauce, etc. It doesn't have to be expensive, just smart. Good luck!
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 9:13 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Try eliminating red dye! My son was a effing demon. I had never seen a kid so vile and mean in all my life! We had to take out regular hamburger, salmon, apples, vitamins, motrin, ketchup, bbq sauce, mac n cheese, cereals, and crackers. It's really shocking how many products have red dye in them! Luckily there ARE dye free alternatives and many of them are cheaper than the ones with dyes.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 9:36 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• ::OP:: No family of 4- we use angle food and wic to help keep cost down
    Anonymous