What happens in the afterlife?

All these death questions got me wondering about the different beliefs in what happens after we die. Do you believe that you either go to heaven or hell? And, if you believe in heaven, what do you do once you get there? Or, do you believe in something totally different?
I beleive in a place I call home. Everyone except dark entities (those who have turned away from the light) go here. It's similar in makeup to Earth. All the different continents have a specialzed interest. Like one deals with animal husbandry and another deals with music, and so on. So, once we get there, we can do all the things we enjoyed while we were here on Earth. And, if we choose to, we can plan another life on Earth, or even another planet.
-Ashley

spiritguide_23

Asked by spiritguide_23 at 8:26 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am Catholic and this is part of what we call "The Mystery of our Faith." We believe in heaven but it's not clear exactly what that means. In our parish, we focus more on life and service here on Earth.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:30 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I believe in rebirth until life lessons are learned(everyone has a different life plan they follow). Then when you've done all you've set out to do you join the universal soul/energy/divine/one in continuing life or whatnot wherever its needed.

I would say Home is a good term once you are done being reborn and unite because in a sense thats where you end up.

In the meantime, I call it the Meadows or the Inbetween.

We use the term Heaven with our 5 yr old because its the most used term and he understands it better when talking about death and where someone who died goes. Especially if that someone was of a different belief system.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 8:31 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I believe I will go await in Summerland for my next soul to be born. I have seen Summerland and the Goddess when I had a near death experience. I stopped breathing once and I awoke in a meadow and the Goddess was there. She had wheat colored hair and in a long flowing gown. She held me in her arms and then kissed my checks and told me to "go back, this life is not over yet" I can tell you it was so peaceful and safe, I did not want to come back. So for my path, I know I will go wait for my next soul in a meadow full of light.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 8:36 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• you don't "DO" anything to get into heaven .. once you have accepted the fact that Jesus is God Himself, and you are a filthy sinner, and you are sorry for being a sinner .. that will get you into the gates of heaven and there is nothing you can do to not go there..
    I hear people say, oh I don't wanna do that, because I will go to hell ..
    Once you are saved, you have a set place with God and can NEVER be removed ..
    and yes, even if you commit murder, you can still go to Heaven ..

Read your Bibles and read for yourselves ...
    xohcannizzo

Answer by xohcannizzo at 8:45 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I believe there is a place we go after we die, a place I refer to as going home. It's like earth at it's most beautiful (no smog, crime, pollution, etc...). It's a peaceful  place. When we get there we are met by our relatives and loved one that have already passed and also our loved ones from are previous lives . I believe strongly in reincarnation. I do believe that there is a higher power (not exactly "God", from the common bible), a spirit that created all man kind. I believe we work on the other side, we help reorient spirits that have come back home, and other things (don't know what they might be). I believe hell is right here on earth and I don't believe you go there if you did something wrong in this life. I don't believe in sin (that's probably going to ruffle a lot of religious feathers, lol). I believe we learn from everything we do here. We learn and we grow.

JewelBliss

Answer by JewelBliss at 9:04 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I believe I am going to heaven and that it cannot be described in human terms. I have no concept of eternity or existance outside of a realm bound by time and space, so I can't even imagine what it will be like. I do know that heaven is in God's presence and that God is good.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:19 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I don't know for sure--they didn't let me stay long enough to find out. I know where I'm going, but I don't know what I'll be doing after I get there! I have been told that you can have whatever you want when you get there. Jesus. Buddha. Palaces. Meadows. Trees. Or interstellar travel. My archangel jokes that we even get to have any god we want. That should be a comfort to everyone. It is to me, since I won't be needing one someone else can have him/her/it.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 10:36 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I believe our energy moves on.. in some instances it attaches itself to natural elements, thus replaying itself over and over again.. and in other instances it is able to retain memory of this life. Where this energy goes.. or how long it lingers, I don't know.. in fact, I'm studying it a lot lately :).I'll post my journal entry up about this when I'm done.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:59 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Valhalla!
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 11:16 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Hi, I reverted to Islam (Muslim relgion) a year ago. I believe that there is a heaven and hell. I think we will be in flesh (different bodies though) and we will be in eternal bliss, happiness free of jealousy or need or want for anything if we make it to heaven. I think hell is the opposite. We will be in constant torture and pain and have nothing good. This is what compells me to try hard to live how I think the Most High wants me to live. I picture hell as standing in a fire and burning and not ever stop feeling pain. However, I am not sure but that is what I am trying to avoid and I pray that everyone else does too!
    GDIMOM

Answer by GDIMOM at 10:38 AM on Jul. 18, 2009