wat r the chances of twins??

k so i just found out im pregnant again! and i have twins in my family, my boyfriend forgot to tell me til the other day that he has 5 sets of twins in his family. 2 sets r his cousins. and his dads a twin too. so im wondering wat r the chances of us having twins? one baby is great but 2 would be a nightmare. i already have a 1 yr old and he just happens to have a son 2 days younger then mine. i know wierd wasnt planned just a coincidence. anyways plz tell me watever u can thanks!

ashley41

Asked by ashley41 at 8:42 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Its like a 50% chance but maybe you will get lucky twins are only supose to run every other generation
    newmom183

Answer by newmom183 at 8:43 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Twins run every other gen-and has NOTHING to do with the father, the mothers family and genetics determine weather a twin will or could result in pregnancy-

with that said, your chances are smaller seeing how you only have one set on your side, but things happen!!!
    GOOD LUCK!!!

JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 8:47 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• do you want twins?
    Anonymous

• It depends. Are the twins on his side fraternal or identical? If the twins on his side are fraternal (they don't look alike or are of opposite sexes) then that will NOT effect your chances of having twins because fraternal twins occur when the woman releases two eggs at once rather than just the one normally released at ovulation. So his genes won't effect how many eggs YOU release. Identical twins occur when one egg is released and fertilized but then later splits into two babies.

The twins on your side are more relevant, so the chances are there. Try not to worry. You'll be amazed at what you can handle when put to the test. If you end up with twins, one day you'll be wondering what you ever would have done with only one!

beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:49 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• also another reason im askin is im already having terrible morning sickness and am exausted im only 4 wks pg. and no i dnt want twins. we already have boys that r 2 days apart. twins would be a nightmare added to that
    ashley41

Answer by ashley41 at 9:01 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• not like you can refuse to take one home! lol
    Anonymous

• I do know that the chance of having twins is about every 1 in 168 women. So it can happen to anyone, at anytime! An old friend of mine had twins in '08. I have had a strange feeling about myself also. My hubby also cant get twins off the brain!! No we dont want twins, we already have 3 kids ages 2-5. Cant shake this feeling tho!!
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 10:46 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Unless twins run on your side of the family, I'd say you don't have anything to worry about. Or at least, not a whole lot to worry about, it could happen, but it's more likely in families that run rapid with twins.... The woman determines the number of children where the man determines the sex!!! I have twins that run rapid in my family. It skips a generation, every generation!!! My grandmother had twin sisters, then she had my mom and aunt... my mom, God love her, had me and my brother (twins), it has skipped me.... hopefully I'll be able to see one of my daughters have a set of twins!!!

Good Luck Momma.
    kayla_trinity

Answer by kayla_trinity at 11:31 PM on Jul. 17, 2009