Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can you file for child support before the baby is born to make sure you start getting it right away?

Im not talking about getting Child Support while I am pregnant, I just want to make sure that I start getting the CS as soon as the baby is born because I am really broke and my fiance just left me and I am 7 months pregnant.

Answer Question

Asked by abs0726 at 8:46 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • you can apply for families first when you are 6 months pregnant. you can do this at the department of human services. you can also apply for foodstamps and wic (women infants children) and medicaid (free insurance).

    Answer by mandielynn23 at 8:51 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

  • true. you can apply for services you can get now and when the baby is born just take in the birth cert and they will file for ch support for you. that way your case is already open and it won't take a lot of time to process

    Answer by admckenzie at 9:21 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

  • If you are not getting Cash Assistance, then no. You have to wait for the baby to be born so they can order a paternity test. I tried when I was pregnant with my daughter (in CA) and was told I had to wait till she was born.

    Answer by Amber115 at 9:34 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

  • Many states do it differently. And some social services flat out lie about what you are able to apply for and when (to save them money). Georgia is being sued because this is their regular practice. Go to social services and ask for assistance in having them help file for child support. When you child is born it will make it so it takes less time. Good luck.

    Answer by frogdawg at 10:26 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.