anyone else with a nail biter?

I clipped my 3yo daughter's nails today and it got me thinking about my 6yo. She chews her nails and has since she was a toddler. She chews them to the point that the last time I had to cut her fingernails was when she was 2 1/2. They are never long enough to trim any more. And, yet, I never see her actually chewing her nails. Maybe she does it in her sleep, lol.

justanotherjen

Asked by justanotherjen at 8:51 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• hahha thats hilarious..i was just thinking the exact same thing about my daughter (5) an hour ago..i took her outta the shower, and told her i was gonna cut her nails and paint then...and yaaa i do her toes..but her fingers i havent had to cut in a few years..she is a biter!! she started biting once her father came into the picture...nervous habit i guess..which in my opinion is sad....but i wont get into that here!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:50 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I am constantly biting my nails! I have actually almost stopped (at the age of 23) and hope my dd doesn't do it as well! I just hate when they get "uneven" then I hate that rigid feeling you get after biting them and I can't keep a nail file on me 24/7. She probably does it before bed when she is falling asleep. My dd is 20 mos so we will see!! My mom tried that gross tasting fingernail polish and after a few bites it comes off. That is also when I learned how to peel nail polish off my fingernails.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 8:56 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Yes my daughter does that. AND sucks her thumb lol
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 9:09 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I used to bite my nails,until I was about 14 I guess, I decided on my own, I wanted to have pretty nails. Then I just quit doing it and haven't done it since!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:10 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I don't bother her about it. Saves me from having to cut them. I just think it's funny that I haven't had to trim her fingernails in 4 years.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:23 PM on Jul. 17, 2009