Does Anybody have a....

Sugar Bear *or a sugar glider*? I saw some people from pocket pets selling them in the mall...and I have looked them up on the website. My husband and I are contemplating getting one but I want to know if anybody has any personal experience with them.

LaceyAM

Asked by LaceyAM at 8:56 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Pets

• I have seen a bunch of these for sale on craigslist. I know nothing about these things, but I think they look like bats, don't you?
    Anonymous

• Suggies are very hard to care for and you need to do a great deal of research and don't just jump in head first. You have to realize that they need constant daily care and attention. Seriously, it's not like getting a dog or cat...or even a ferret for that matter. I've had all manner of pet, and suggies are BY FAR the hardest to care for and keep alive. They also have to have their cage kept VERY clean, and will spend a lot of time in their bonding pouches if allowed, which is fine, if you're carrying it. (another should be kept in their cage for bonding with their cagemate. Suggies are also best in pairs. One will get very lonely and could die from it. PLEASE do some research to save you some money and heartbreak if you can't care for it, and potentially save it's life. If you do get one (or better, a pair) good luck with them and remember, they'll need an adjustment period before they'll even bond with you. I have 3 Suggies
    boosma

Answer by boosma at 9:50 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Also, to add on to the previous post....

They are illegal in some areas. They are in GA. I used to be a supervisor at Petsmart and the Dept. of Agriculture gave us a list annually of what was illegal to own/sell in GA. It changed all the time...usually adding to the list.
    They are a lot of work...definitely do a TON of research like the PP said.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 8:07 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• yes my brother in law had one and it stunk...I wasnt very found of it but i didn't like the thought of something flying around when it was out of it's cage.
    WvMommyof3

Answer by WvMommyof3 at 3:04 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• it depends on where u live like in pa its not illeagal to have them but its illeagal to sell them and pluse i hear they are very delicate and hard to care for one person who i know has one said its worst then haveing a baby b/c a baby will fall when walking and get up but if a sugar glider falled or gets dropped they can die
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 8:04 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Probably no different from any other exotic pet. Make sure you have the time and money to commit to their care though. It can be fun having an unusual pet---but don't get bored with it and abandon it. You need to make a commitment, as with any creature.
    toomanypoodles

Answer by toomanypoodles at 9:58 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• One of my moms friends have them they are very noisy and mean and she carries them EVERYWHERE!! Oh my gosh They have bit me twice and I can't stand them... VERY VERY MEAN!!!
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 12:45 AM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Thanks for the input everybody. We had talked about possibly getting one in the future, but I think we decided not to. Thanks again.
    LaceyAM

Answer by LaceyAM at 3:43 PM on Jul. 21, 2009