crawing = finger foods??

my son is 7 months old and he is zooming all over the house. He LOVES to crawl. Hes still on 2nd baby foods and i feel like im doing something wrong because hes interested but he still loves his bottle. He wants his bottle more than he wants the spoon unless its to chew on it. Should i make sure he doesn't have his bottle and eats solids or just stop the temper-tantrum and give it to him? Should i be on 3rd baby foods? i called my pediatrician and they arnt much help they just tell me to do what i feel is best. I have no clue what that is right now. lol Also should i try the cherios or finger foods? i have no clue on what do to. Please help

sunshine067

Asked by sunshine067 at 8:57 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 3rd foods on the jar I believe says it's recommended for 8 months+ so I think 2nd foods is still fine. I don't know how many teeth your baby has, but I didn't give my son cheerios until I was sure he could chew thoroughly, at about 10 months and 4 teeth. I usually gave my son his bottle separately from his meals. That way there was no competition :) The first thing I started my son on was the gerber puffs or the crunchies. They are good for them to learn how to chew, but they dissolve easily in their mouth, so it won't choke him up while he's still learning. Gerber has symbols on their products in the top right corner for developmental stages, you should look for the "crawler" symbol. If you don't want to pay the higher prices for Gerber products, you can always look at what they have for "crawlers" to get ideas, and then purchase those types of foods in other or generic brands. Good luck!
    kikikiki

Answer by kikikiki at 9:07 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Instead of cheerios, try the gerber or parents choice little puffs i think their called. they melt easier than cheerios and your baby (not being used to heavy solids like that) will be less like to choke on them. At seven months old, I started a schedule which was bottle, solid, bottle, solid. You get the idea. There was no competition over the bottle and he loved solids. They usually say wait for stage 3s until after crawling and things like that so if you think your child may be ready, try them. Just get a jar or two and if he's not ready, then wait a little longer. Now, my son (at a year old) is no longer on formula and is drinking regular milk and juice. Good luck!
    innocencexinxme

Answer by innocencexinxme at 9:48 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• If he wants the bottle over solids its really not a problem! Until 1 year solids are only for experimenting with tastes and textures. Before 1 year you ALWAYS do bottle or nursing first, then solids. The milk is what is important at this age.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 9:51 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Babies can't choke on Cheerios; there's a hole in them (this is according to our pediatrician). Babies get all their nutrition from formula, and should do so until at least 1 year old. sk tennyson is absolutely right about giving them the breastmilk/formula first, then solid foods. Don't keep the formula/breastmilk from him, especially so young! He really needs that! And he's not throwing a tantrum; he's only 7 months old! He's crying and upset probably because he needs that bottle still. You cold try giving him his formula/breastmilk in a sippie cup, but I wouldn't force it.
    Don't try the Cheerios or finger foods until he can sit up by himself with no help or supervision.
    You're not doing anything "wrong" just slow down a little; he'll be eating nothing but solids before you know it!
    SgtsWife1982

Answer by SgtsWife1982 at 12:57 AM on Jul. 18, 2009