Neighbor kids always at MY house!!

A single lady with 2 kids tim(12) and sara (8) moved in across the street. They are always coming over, everyday! when i let my kids play james (8) and jenne (9) those kids stay here all day long, the mom never comes looking for them it could be 11am to 8pm. they will sometimes go home for a few minutes taking my kids with (who are suppose to ask) and then come right back. Once sara brought a note her mom had left her that said she had ran to the store telling her to ride her bike there (down the highway) or wait for her. shouldn't she have came over and talked to me. I am putting a stop to the 12 yr boy playing with my 8 yr old boy cus he takes him to the gas station. this mother lets her 8yr old girl walk a blk and a half down the highway to another gas station by herself, i would be afraid to let my girl go alone. what is wrong with some parents, not saying i am perfect but come on. shouldn't she watch her kids?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:17 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Relationships

• yes go talk to the mom and set some limits

Answer by admckenzie at 9:22 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I had a neighbor like that. She's still there, kids are grown now. From her house, you can not see my backyard and her kid would be here all day, mom would never check on her. I use to have to make her go home for lunch. IMO, I would put a stop to it ASAP. Maybe you can just tell the kids across the street that your kids can't play right now. At least keep the play time to a minimum.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 9:27 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I would just start telling the neighbor kids that your kids can't play today. Just keep sending them home and hopefully they'll stop coming over. We have a little 6 year old girl in our neighborhood who runs all over alone. She'll have a bathing suit and floaties on her arms, and be walking around the neighborhood, she came to my door and asked if she could swim in our pool, we don't even have a pool. She always comes to my door asking to come in and play, I always send her home, I tell her her mom is looking for her. The police have been to their house numerous times, and then will cruise the neigbborhood looking for the little girl, and asking the other kids if they have seen her. So the police already know that this child runs the streets......I just sent her away, I will walk ouside and watch her walk back down to her house.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 9:59 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Get this one day I was going to work and my step son who was at the time a teenager still is but anyway I let my neighbor lady at the time watch my daughter because her daughter spent the night and I had to be at work fairly early and her daughter was flirtacious with my stepson and she knew that he was home alone and my daughter was suppose to spend the day with her daughter and while me and my husband were gone at work she let hers and my daughter go in my house while we were at work I was ticked off. I thought I could trust her to keep them out of my house while we were gone.
    Patty414

Answer by Patty414 at 10:19 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Send them home and say your kids can't play right now. Maybe you should walk over and talk to the mother yourself. See what is going on. Maybe she is not even home. Put your foot down.
    oliviahank

Answer by oliviahank at 10:22 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Just send them home when you're tired and say they will come over later to get you. You need to talk to the other mother too and let her know that you don't mind watching the kids, but that she needs to let you know before she just up and leaves. You could have had something to do.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 10:32 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• in reply to Patty... Yes I left for about 10 15 minutes a couple months ago and my kids were suppose to stay at neighhbores house... I came home and couldn't find my daughter, she was a block down the street at another house and my son and her boy were in the back yard of my house.....
    I just don't understand the thinking process of some of these people. It's like they have no common sense, it just really gets under my skin. I also usually have my kids in the house by 8 and in bed at 9 (especially during school) and these other neighbor kids still come knocking on the door at 8:30 asking to play. Are these people from another planet? Also they come knocking on my door as early as 9 am. I don't think I could allow my kids to go to nieghbors that early, I feel 10:30 or 11 would be earliest. You've gotta have SOME family time... sometimes I feel like a free sitter.
    Anonymous

• I have the same problem. The kids next door are elementary school age, same as my kids, they are very nice and from a single-mom family. However, the kids are over ALL the time and I feel bad about asking them to leave. Their mother will ask for them to come home for a while, but not long after, they come back. The minute we pull into the driveway, they are at my car door asking if they can come over. And I haven't even gotten out of the car. It is bothering me so much that I disconnected the doorbell. I also think like the old saying goes, "give them an inch, and they'll take a mile." It's true. You have to set the limits otherwise they'll just keeping taking advantage. I have to use my own advice and put a stop to the everyday visits. Good luck.
    blue4sue

Answer by blue4sue at 10:40 PM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I have been dealing with this same problem for about 5 months now. I finally realized that I am the one to blame because in the desire to have playmates for my only child we encouraged neighbor kids to play at our house. We supervise more closely than most of the neighboring parents, and my child is the youngest. The problem is, as they kids have grown, our house is considered 'the clubhouse' and the kids come to play with each other, or our 'stuff' but not necessarily my son.
    I am tired of being the involuntary babysitter, snack room and water/drinks bar for the neighborhood. Especially now that an older boy is picking on my son. We are going to establish more boundaries for anyone playing at our house!
    booger_sugar

Answer by booger_sugar at 3:17 PM on Oct. 7, 2013