Had one C section...

I've already had one c section, does this mean I have to have another one? I know that some doctors advise that you should if you've already had one. Have any of you had one and then done a normal birth? If so how did it go? Any stories or advice would be great. Thanks!

Bamzakarat

Asked by Bamzakarat at 9:35 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had a c-section with my first child and will have one with this kid. I just think its easier at least I know what to expect.
    Lesli310

Answer by Lesli310 at 9:40 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I had a c-section with my first and my OB gave me the option to go c again or vaginal as long as everything was ok. I chose vaginal and had a fine birth. It was weird trying to get the hang of pushing lol but otherwise it was fine. I did get the epidural and for me it helped. I didn't have any issues or complications and my dd was healthy. GL
    jasey929

Answer by jasey929 at 9:41 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Some states wont let you have a vaginal birth if you've already had a c-section.
    Cherrie522

Answer by Cherrie522 at 9:45 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Nope you dont have to, it's called a VBAC.
    In almost all cases (like 99%) VBACs are very safe :)
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 9:46 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I've only had one baby so far and I had a C section. I am undecided on pursuing a VBAC. You absolutely can have a safe vaginal birth after a c section and some child birth educators teach classes specifically about VBAC. Talk to your doctor and if you can to the surgeon that performed your C section. The concern is that contractions may be dangerous to your already cut uterus. I know my OB told me that I can attempt a VBAC in the future, but I can never be induced because the false contractions caused by induction are not as gentle as the ones your body creates naturally.

If you are under medical supervision you can always attempt the VBAC and if there are any problems the OB will intervene. I think it is perfectly safe as long as you don't attempt a home birth.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:52 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Oh I forgot to mention that my aunt had a successful VBAC in 1995 and her daughter is a healthy 14 year old now.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:53 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I've had three kids. My first one was a C-section and I went on to have 2 perfectly fine VBAC's. You do NOT have to have a c-section just because you had one with the first child. Now if it is what your doctor suggests, and you are not comfortable with it, you could get a second opinion.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:38 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• http://ican-online.org/vbac/home
    no, you do NOT have to have another c/s if you don't want one. most ob's won't do a vbac bc THEY think there is too much risk. depending on the state you live in, a midwife would be more than happy to help you. you can have a homebirth or birth at a birth center. i feel that if you were to go to a hospital again, your dr would change his/her mind when you got there and say "nope, we're having a c/s."
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 9:57 AM on Jul. 18, 2009