My child is refusing to eat. What can I do?

I took her to the drs this afternoon for a problem. She is pooping her pants because of the one problem starts with an E. anyway she is going to a specialist next week for that. However, she has since said she is not hungry to even her favorite restaurant. She thinks if she doesn't eat she won't poop. If she doesn't poop then no accidents. I don't know what to do. Any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:39 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• this sounds harsh but my son went through a "no eating" thing and the dr said when he gets hungry he will eat. he wont let himself starve. keep offering to her and when she gets hungry she will eat. good luck
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 9:41 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• How old is she?

Emberbaby

Answer by Emberbaby at 9:41 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• If you are talking about E Coli, I wouldn't worry about her eating yet. In fact it's better if she doesn't. Just keep her hydrated for a few days. It has to work itself out of her system. I have copied info from this link below.

"How is the infection treated?
    There is no special treatment, except drinking a lot of water and watching for complications. Don't take medicine to stop diarrhea unless your doctor tells you to. This medicine would keep your intestines from getting rid of the E. coli germ. If you are seriously dehydrated, you might need to go to the hospital to have fluids put into your veins with an IV."
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:48 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Also, does she have serious diarrhea, because if she does, when she STARTS to eat again, she needs to take it easy. People often go to the BRAT diet right after a spell of diarrhea. Banana, Rice, Applesauce & Toast. It will be easier on her tummy. How old is she? Is it E Coli?
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:50 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• just make sure she has plenty to drink so she doesnt get dehydrated and I agree with what someone above said when she gets hungry she will eat. Hope everything goes well at the doctor
    heavenlypeace

Answer by heavenlypeace at 10:14 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• poor baby. I think I would be afraid to eat too. Maybe you can do a eating game....like a scavenger hunt or put her fav foods in bags, blind fold her, then she can reach inside the bag to feel and guess what it is....then eat it. I think that keeping upset tummy foods very handy (maybe a low cupboard with just food for her in it) so when she gets hungry it is right there.
    Ihatelaundry

Answer by Ihatelaundry at 10:25 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I am sorry she is ill. I agree with the above answers about just keeping her drinking fluids. Maybe diluted gatorade or the children's version? So she gets the minerals she needs. I hope she feels much better soon.

Answer by Bmat at 10:40 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Just keep her hydrated, she will eat when she is ready. Keep offering food, don't pressure her. She will be ok.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:52 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• See if you can get her to drink pediasures (sp?) it will give her the vitamins she needs. My son lived on those for two weeks after he had to have his toungue stiched up and couldn't eat.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 5:27 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Encopresis? (means defecating in places other than where you are supposed to)

If it is encopresis, then she might just be constipated. Yeah, I know, sounds odd, but when you have a large stool blocking your colon, the softer stuff often gets squeezed out around it, resulting in soiling one's undergarments. If not constipated, there are other medical & psychological issues that can cause encopresis. Until you know, you shouldn't fuss over her soiling herself &/or not eating, b/c doing so can stress her out & make her symptoms worse - it's a vicious cycle. Relax about it all & she may, too. If she soils, help her clean up matter-of-factly & go about your day. If she doesn't want the meal or snack you offer, put it away until it's time to eat again. After you see the specialist & have an idea of what's going on, then you will be able to develop an appropriate plan to treat her symptoms & help her heal.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 7:28 AM on Jul. 18, 2009