The Donner Party...

If you don't know the story, here's the short version. The Donner party were a waggon train headed to California in the 1846. They were caught in a blizzard and stranded. Part of the party, split off. Out of the 15 in that splintered party, only 7 survived. 1 had died and was abandoned, however the other 7 had died after the party was out of food. And so to save themselves those left living, ate their friends.

Now, here is my question. While I'm sure we can all agree that canabalism is at the very least twisted and unhealthy, do you feel what they did was morally reprehensable? Had you been in their shoes, what do you feel you would have done? And if you feel they were wrong, would you choose starvation for yourself or your family over eating another human?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 9:51 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• as long as there is some pepper I'm in. Plus I like being "eaten" every chance I get!
    Anonymous

• No, I don't think it is morally wrong. I would probably do it. I think it's okay as long as they didn't kill anyone so they could eat them.

honeyb3

Answer by honeyb3 at 9:54 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• lol anon.
    honeyb3

• anon... That's to much... lol!

I'm with you honeyb. I don't think what they did was wrong. They didn't kill anyone, they simply put the meat to good use.

However, as we have seen with chickens, animals aren't meant to eat other animals of the same breed. When different scientific tests have been done on current day cannables there is usually a mal-formation to the brain. Is it there first? Or from the eating of human flesh? We don't yet know all that. But it raises some questions about the health of those that do it.

Personally, if you are dead and I'm hungry, I see you as fair game. I would hope that someone would put my body to good use rather than starve...

eating

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:02 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I don't think its reprehensable to do what is needed to survive. Under those conditions a little hot sauce is all it takes. LOL first anon.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 10:07 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• IF i was starving or my children were starving I probably would but if you do the research the remaining people in the party many went mad and i do believe (if i remember correctly) they did actually kill someone who was almost dead because they couldnt wait (again i might be wrong) and in that case its wrong but in order to survive in that extreme condition yeah i probably would
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 10:18 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• However, as we have seen with chickens, animals aren't meant to eat other animals of the same breed. When different scientific tests have been done on current day cannables there is usually a mal-formation to the brain. Is it there first? Or from the eating of human flesh? We don't yet know all that. But it raises some questions about the health of those that do it.

I wonder if it similar to inbreeding. If you have a family who marries their first cousins for several generations, you start to see a lot of genetic disease emerge. I don't recall the name, but I saw a documentary once and there was a specific family from Europe that was completely wiped out by a genetic disease. Hemophilia maybe? Anyways...if a certain civilization eats their dead, maybe they're taking in certain disease or illnesses and passing them down the line?

honeyb3

Answer by honeyb3 at 10:54 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• watch a little more of survivor man, so I don't end up in their shoes. lol..

actually, in this day and age, it is difficult to find yourself in such situations (difficult, not impossible). At least in our country.

But, hypothetically.. lets say I was part of this party during that time.. I probably would have ate leaves and grass and bugs before I ate my friend... and the minute they turned those zombie like cannibalistic eyes toward me, I'd be outta there. lol.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:08 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• It's difficult to answer this question without actually being in the situation. Right now the idea disgusts me, but survival instinct is very strong, so if I were put in that scenario, I would likely chow down. Assuming, of course, I wouldn't be one of the first ones to go. I'm rather small when not pregnant!

As for morality, I agree with the PP who said as long as you aren't killing someone, it's not reprehensible. It's staying alive.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 11:13 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I don't know. If they went mad then are the yreally responsable for the ir actions? They were not in a right state of mind. But as far as I know, we can't eat everything. The bible gives us laws that we are to follow and I have studied this they are still in play today. So if I was starving and my children were starving *which soe day is going to be the case if my kids go with me, then it iwll be just me starving. Could I eat another human being. I don't think I could now but talk to me when I;m starving. We also aren't supposed to eat things that died of natural cause I do believe.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 1:27 AM on Jul. 18, 2009