potty training for boys

ok my son is 2 and i was just wondering how i would start potty training him anyone have any ideas?

jamiemomma1224

Asked by jamiemomma1224 at 9:55 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Let him go when his Daddy is going.
    Vivian63

Answer by Vivian63 at 10:15 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Oh there a lots of different ideas on this subject. For my son I got a poster board and stickers, i tacked the poster directly infront of the potty so he could see it everytime he was in the bathroom. Each time he used the potty he got a sticker he could put whereever on the poster he wanted.....important to give a sticker even if he cant go, its the thought that counts.

Also, we had 'potty or pee pee parades' he went up on the shoulders or we held hands and ran around the house. the whole family was included....we would parade and everyone who heard it not matter where they were in the house clapped and cheered....oh my god he was so proud.

Now he is 3 1/2 and doesnt need to ask or tell me he has to go....he just goes. Every once in awhile we make a big deal about it just to show him that we are proud.

TMI he liked to potty 'on top' of daddy or mamas potty. gross but it works.
    Ihatelaundry

Answer by Ihatelaundry at 10:17 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• When we decided to potty train we just had him run around naked from the waist down. He knew better than to go on the floor, so when he had to go he sat on the potty and went. We tried other stuff first but it never worked.
    JerbysMom

Answer by JerbysMom at 10:27 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I just took a week off work and stuck him in underwear. It took about two days for it really to catch on and by the end of the week we were good to go. I did give him a quarter every time he peed in the potty. After he got 10 quarters we went to the mall and bought an Auntie Ann's pretzel. After he really had peeing down he only got quarters for pooping. After ten that time we went and got ice cream. He still wears pullups to bed and if we are going to be out all day, just in case we don't make it to (or find) the bathroom in time.
    Anonymous

• boys are tricky but things i have known to work:
    my sister threw fruit loops in the toilet at her school and had the boys aim for their fav color.
    a mom i know let him pick out his own underpants and so when he soiled them he was sad he messed up spiderman.
    going with daddy works nicely just make sure son never sees daddy peeing on a tree or it will all be over and your son will be a tree pee-er.
    but always throw the teetee in the potty parade though most adults will do it instinctfully out of their own joy that the kid used the toilet!! and rewards.
    spazlilsister

Answer by spazlilsister at 9:11 PM on Jul. 18, 2009