What do I wear to a job fair?

Hubby and I are going to a job fair next week. He is in the military and is getting med-boarded due to his injuries. Most of my nice clothes are not here at this base with us, so I need to find something this weekend. Please share with me what you think is appropriate and if possible post a pic. We live close to some outlets, so I may be able to find something nice, but cheap!

P.S. I know this is in the JFF instead of Work, but people don't seem to answer anything except JFF and Parenting...LOL

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:03 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Just for Fun

• A suit with a simple blouse or plain t-shirt. You can also wear a nice pair of slacks or a nice skirt with a blazer. Wear simple, low-heeled or flat shoes, like loafers. Do not wear dangling earings. If you have tatoos, cover them. Bring lots of copies of your resume; bring handbills and calling cards if you have them. Practice your "elevator speech". If you know what companies are going to be at the job fair, do a bit of research on them so you can ask intelligent questions about the companies.

I do career and job search coaching.
    Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions about resumes, cover letters, job search strategy & interview preparation.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:09 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Business casual.
    Some dark slacks and a nice top.
    Cherrie522

Answer by Cherrie522 at 10:09 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Dress like you are going to a job interview. Very professional. Wear a pair of gray or black slacks and a blouse - I would say a button down shirt or something like that. Don't wear anything sleeveless or revealing. Wear closed toed shoes - not sneakers - something like a loafer or a dress shoe like a nice flat. Heals are okay too.

You could also wear a pencil skirt. Just make sure that you look professional.

A neutral base (black, gray, brown, or blue) and a colorful top - but not busy - top. You should look like you are serious, professional, and ready to get to business!

good luck!!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:10 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I would wear whatever you would wear to a Job interview. If it was me it would be ,,, nice pants and top, with flats. First impressions are important. It would be better to be overdressed than under-dressed. Good Luck Too. :D

Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 10:10 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Ok you go to a job fair as you would a job interview. If you don't have a suit availible, put togeather a semi dressy shit and something like nice Dockers pants. Sweaters would be good or just a nice button up shirt. Fitted for you and maybe a clip on tie for hubby. You want to make a positive impression when you go so if you wear a skirt nothing that is above the knee. Here is a checklist for you http://www.cvtips.com/women_interview_clothes_check_list.html and this should be helpful for both you and your husband. http://www.career.vt.edu/jobsearc/interview/appearnc.html
    goddessmom

Answer by goddessmom at 10:12 PM on Jul. 17, 2009