Rash on 8 year old for two months?

My 8 year old daughter started complaining of a sore throat mid-May. Then she spiked a 103 degree temp for a couple of days. After the fever went down, she developed this rash over the trunk of her body. It was just little red spots. They weren't raised or anything, but I was concerned because I didn't know if it was all related. I took her to the doctor who thought it was a strep rash, and treated her for strep throat (although she tested negative). Two weeks after the anitibiotics were completed, she still had the rash so I took her back to the doctor thinking anything viral should've passed. The doctor agreed and said give it another two weeks. In the meantime, I had to take her to the ER because she was wheezing and the little spots that had always been flat had turned into hives. The doctor at the ER also believed it to be viral. I brought her back her regular doctor a week later because the rash was still there. (cont)

MPWifeJessicia

Asked by MPWifeJessicia at 10:31 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Health

• The doctor at the ER originally thought Fifth Disease as well, but he decided not since she didn't have the "slapped face" appearance. The rash on the other parts of her body don't look lacy either (according to him). I'm not sure what it looks like. I am fixing to google it to see if I can find some pics. Thanks!
    MPWifeJessicia

Answer by MPWifeJessicia at 10:40 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Go to the doctor and ask about Fifth disease. I had it when I was 10, it goes away. Maybe google it before you go to the doctor to see if it's what she has.
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 10:35 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• (cont) Well, the doctor referred her to both an allergist and a dermatologist. We've seen the allergist who says she is severely allergic to several things and that she has asthma. She is now getting allergy shots, but the allergist does not believe the rash is an allergic reaction. We can't get into the dermatologist until the end of October, and I'm just curious if anyone has ever heard of this or had it happen? My daughter also has some other little clear liquid filled bumps on her hands that her primary care also said looked like an allergy. Again, the allergist doesn't think it is an allergy. So, she's got these little liquid filled bumps on her hand, and the red rash that is flat, not raised that she's had for two months. None of it seems to bother her, but it concerns me because it's been so long. The red rash also spreads to her arms, legs, and palms of her feet at times, but is always on the trunk of her body. TIA!
    MPWifeJessicia

Answer by MPWifeJessicia at 10:36 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Her rash doesn't look like the pictures I am seeing. She just has these tiny red spots. It looks like someone has taken a red pen and just dotted her skin with it.
    MPWifeJessicia

Answer by MPWifeJessicia at 10:41 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Fifth disease begins with a low-grade fever, headache, and mild cold-like symptoms (a stuffy or runny nose). These symptoms pass, and the illness seems to be gone until a rash appears a few days later. The bright red rash typically begins on the face. Several days later, the rash spreads and red blotches (usually lighter in color) extend down to the trunk, arms, and legs. The rash usually spares the palms of the hands and soles of the feet. As the centers of the blotches begin to clear, the rash takes on a lacy net-like appearance. Kids younger than 10 years old are most likely to get the rash.

http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/bacterial_viral/fifth.html#
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 10:44 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• "tiny red spots. It looks like someone has taken a red pen and just dotted her skin with it. "

Do you maybe have fleas in your house? that's what the bites can look like sometimes. My mom's friend, for some reason, attracts fleas really bad so she has what looks like a rash most of the summer from the fleas.
    Anonymous

• I don't think we have fleas. I've never seen any, and we don't have pets.
    MPWifeJessicia

Answer by MPWifeJessicia at 10:49 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Scarlet fever (known in older medical literature as scarlatina) is an illness caused the same bacteria that cause strep throat. A person with scarlet fever most commonly develops a sore throat and rash. Scarlet fever is usually seen in children under the age of 18. For unknown reasons, scarlet fever has become less common in recent years.
    Heres a link for pictures.....copy & paste. I googled scarlet fever pictures. My little sister had this when she was 12, very uncommon but people do still get it, and the doctor said its linked to strep
    http://images.google.com/images?sourceid=navclient&rlz=1T4DKUS_enUS311US312&q=Scarlet+fever+Pictures&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=IDhhSsbRH6CEtgeosv3rDw&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 10:51 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Just thought maybe it could be that, most doctors don't look for it anymore ....because it is VERY highly uncommon.
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 10:52 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I believe Roseola starts with a fever and then a rash develops. Also, my son recently had a rash all over his body, up to his neck, and low grade fever. It was just a viral rash. lasted about 4 days.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 12:47 AM on Jul. 18, 2009