How can I get a 16 month old boy to sleep through the night?

My son is 16 months old. I think that he might have night terrors b/c he will start screaming in the middle of the night and still be asleep. And sometimes it takes up to 5 min. to wake him. Almost every night though he is awake and it is near impossible to get him back to sleep in a timely manner. I am hesitant to use over the counter drugs, but I am at a loss. I don't know if it is just him being stubborn(my husband thinks so) or if he has an underlying problem. My daughter never had a problem and is borderline diva with the amount of sleep she gets. I am reaching my limit and want to fix this without involving a sleep specialist, (that possibility actually scares me). any advice or tricks of the trade would be grealty appreciated.

laneymae90

Asked by laneymae90 at 10:48 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• if it is night terror try changing the night routine... something might be bothering him and a distraction or change of habit might ease him a bit.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like your son IS having night terrors. Patience(on your part) and outgrowing the night terrors is the only coping method I found. I went through this phase with both children. As you already know, he is sleeping and not being stubborn. Good Luck
    regan1

Answer by regan1 at 11:01 PM on Jul. 17, 2009