What is a good detergent to use with cloth diapers?

bluelady27

Asked by bluelady27 at 11:06 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I personally use Tide Free. It works best with our water. Purex free and clear is a great and inexpensive detergent. For WAHM detergents Lil Outlaws is AWESOME and has totally kick ass scents that are diaper safe! Detergents you should NEVER use are Dreft and regular Tide. Borax should be used very rarely if ever. You can check out www.pinstripesandpolkadots.com for a detergent list.

If you use baking soda in the wash you need to use vinegar in the rinse to restore the pH balance of the diapers. In many cases, not doing so leads to painful diaper rashes. If you have extremely hard water you can use borax instead of baking soda.

You really should never ever use bleach unless it is a last resort. Any PUL covers you have will be completely ruined by bleach. It will also wear the elastic of the diapers much more quickly. Peroxide, lemon juice, oxi clean, and plain ole sunshine are great stain removers!
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 9:18 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I used cloth diapers and used the detergent I used for my babies - for me it was Gain - but whatever you use on the babies should be fine - just add a little bleach.
    TabithaK.

Answer by TabithaK. at 11:18 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• i used all free and clear.
    www.diaperjungle.com has a great reference guide to detergents!!!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:28 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• i like tea tree soap and then i wash in in the machine with dtergent and tad of bleach maybe sometimes i'll run it two cycles to get all the chemical washed out
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 12:47 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• We use purex free and clear and it works well. I also do a pre rinse cycle with baking soda to get rid of any particles left over on the diapers. The baking soda also helps keep the diapers from smelling bad.
    white_mocha

Answer by white_mocha at 12:51 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I did a prewash/soak in oxy

hot wash with ECOs from costco

and a second rinse.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 1:57 AM on Jul. 18, 2009