Older kids hitting other kids

I was in a play place with my daughter a couple nights ago and found a 5 year old boy going to hit my 21 month old daughter in the face because she was playing with a toy he wanted. I almost shit my pants and screamed "hey" I did know what to do. I told him we dont hit others and we def. dont hit younger girls. I was furious and I couldnt find his damn mother probably because he has learned that hitting is ok from her. What do u do in a situation like that? I felt so sad for my girl. She is still a baby, although she does look like a 4 year old she is very tall.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:07 PM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My dd is the same way! I take her to play and some little brat comes out and starts hitting or pushing... mother nowhere to be found!! I tell them to leave my child alone, they don't like it when other people do it to them and if they continue nobody will want to play with them! I can't tell you how pissed off I get at that! My dd is 20 mos old and since she was old enough to stand kids have been coming up and hitting her. One kid got lucky I didn't smack her back!! My dd never goes up and hits and the day she does I will be standing RIGHT there to correct that behavior!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• If I could not find the boys mother I would tell him firmly but not loudly that hitting is not okay, and hitting younger children, esp. girls is very bad. I told the little boy that hitting girls wasn't okay because it was his job to make sure girls are protected. I don't think that its the moms fault really, I was spanked when I was a child and (other than my siblings and even then not very often) never hit other children. It could be her fault that she allows it, but I doubt very much that she taught him to hit.
    rachel_817

Answer by rachel_817 at 1:21 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• you can't change other people's kiddos unless you deal with them regularly but you can change the situation. i tell mothers that god gave you the mother voice and mother look- USE IT. even if it isn't written in history i KNOW somewhere wars have been won because someone's mom used the look. use authority with the little devil and make them look you in the face. using the stern mom look and the stern mom voice that isn't yelling but will make the kid freak out as if you are- tell him/her that that is NOT NICE (two words all little kids know thanks to santa claus) and that you know he/she can play nice. that shows you believe in that child and now he/she feels like you are dissapointed in them. nothing stops you from being that child's "mother". make them apologize and give hugs. he/she might still go around hitting kids but atleast they will stay away from yours because they don't want YOU to come back and get them.
    spazlilsister

Answer by spazlilsister at 9:03 PM on Jul. 18, 2009