What age should babies be able to spend all night with grandparents?

I'm in a bit of a quandary ... my DD wants me to babysit tomorrow night, but still pick up my GD (almost 5-mos-old) before going to their home. My husband wants me to pick up the GD in the a.m. & come to our "weekend home", a camper on a river, keep the baby all night and return her to her home Sunday a.m.

Additional info: We also have a camper on the River for our children, but the baby ALWAYS stays in our bigger/better camper, so that her parents can have free time. Also, on our July 4th vacation, out of 4 nights, the baby was with us 3 nights. But my daughter & her husband are always very close, though I seldom have any problems that need their assistance.

My daughter says "no way"; she doesn't want her baby away from her for a whole night. I understand that, but my husband thinks she's being silly. I plan to stay home so I don't miss any time with this angel, but what age do GPs get to keep the baby all night??

kmhmom999

Asked by kmhmom999 at 1:18 AM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When the parents say so. It doesn't matter who thinks it's silly. My baby has never spent a night without me. There's no age when they "should".
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 1:21 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Depends on how comfortable the mother of the child is. My daughter stayed with her GP's for a weekend when she was 6 months old.
    EmmysMom85

Answer by EmmysMom85 at 1:22 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• My oldest son is 26, but I'm not a grandparent yet. As much as I'd be wanting the grandbaby all night, I can tell you that I didn't let my babies spend the night at that age.....I don't think there's anything wrong with them spending the night, I just wasn't ready to be separated. Mine were 2 before I was able to let them spend the night.........for what it's worth.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:22 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Well its up to the parents my 1st DD didn't stay with anyone til she was a year old. My second DD has been with my mother for a month and shes now 11months
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I wouldn't have my kids stay the night with their grandparents until they were done breastfeeding. But I intend to breastfeed until I my kids are two, so thats when I would. However even if I were not extended(ish) breastfeeding it would be until they were two. But my parents live out of state and I don't really trust my mother in law with kids at all, so it would probably be more like 6 or 7 before my kids spent the night at grandparents.
    rachel_817

Answer by rachel_817 at 1:28 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• My DD stayed with my parents at 2 months over night. I was there at 5am to pick her up tho. lol. I was very ill with the flu at that time, I could barely pick DD up without running to the bathroom to vomit... It was horrible. So my parents came and got her 1. because we didn't want her getting sick 2. because I was unable to take care of her. I called every 30 mins or so for the first 3 hours she was gone... lol. I'm a new mommy and I swore when she was born that she wouldn't stay away until she was atleast 2 years. That went out the window. lol. My DD is now 8mths and spends atleast 2 nights/month with my parents. BUT my parents are the only people she is allowed to stay with, even for just a short while. I do NOT trust anyone else well enough! :) I think she should lighten up a bit, and let your GD stay with you :) Good Luck.
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 1:32 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Well my son has been staying the night once a week at my parents house since he was 1 1/2 months old! The frist time, my dad pretty much told me he was staying because he was scared of my mental health. I was soooo exhausted and I really couldnt fuction very well, neither could my hubby. So, Joey stayed and my mom would call me or I would call every once and a while checking in. I trust my parents so I have been totally fine. My mom is an infant teacher so she knows what shes doing. So I am very comfy with that. Also, my dad is 74 and I am 25 so I want my son to spend time with my dad and get to know him, even if he is a baby.
    momtobe3209

Answer by momtobe3209 at 1:34 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Depends on the child, the parents and the grandparents. For example, if my parents were younger and could really keep up with my child, I wouldn't have had a problem with him staying the night with them no matter what they age. They're smart, they have more or less the same child-rearing practices as I have and they understand, respect and agree with the choices I make for my son.

On the other hand, my son can stay with my husband's mother when hell freezes over even though she's about 15 years younger than my parents and more than energetic enough to keep up with him. She does not, however, have any respect the choices we've made for him and makes it abundantly clear that she believes that she should be able to do whatever she likes whether we agree with it or not.

In your case, she obviously trusts you. Give it time and I bet you'll get all the baby time you could ever want. :)
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 1:43 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Thats kinds funny. I live with my parents and totaly trust them, but I have never let them watch my DD over night. Today my mom asked me if she could take her out of town to her SILs Birthday party next weekend...which would be over night. I said NO WAY! My DD is 18 months and I dont plan on spending a night without her for a very long time. I am way too attached to my angle. I think that it should be totaly up to the parents (mom) when the child can spend the night. When the mom is ready she'll let the baby stay. I would advice against pushing the subject though...my MIL harassed me for months about letting my DD stay with her...that did not end up well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:16 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• im 22. mother of a 9 month old, and 2 yr old... i would NOT allow my children to sleep alone at someone else home without me! i dont care who it is. unless its an emergency like i had my second child and my husband was in IRAQ, my mother had to watch my daughter... but like i said, it was an emergency
    Bebe510

Answer by Bebe510 at 3:31 AM on Jul. 18, 2009