OMFG...Venting!!!

Ok so I have a 14 year old brother. I found out today that a couple days ago he took my moms debit card out of her wallet and rang up like $1,000 or something on a stupid internet game. Before that he rang up the cell phone bill not once but twice to like $800. He is outta control lately. I want to kill him. I can't believe he is putting our mother through all this.

Bamzakarat

Asked by Bamzakarat at 1:46 AM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• so.. kill him
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:49 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• The problem w/ a debit card is that you can't cancel charges like you can w/a credit card. To that money is gone. Straight out of her checking account. Please tell her so she can correct the problem. Maybe a priest, big brother, favorite male teacher etc,. can help him understand not to steal. Also your mom could make him get some type of job so he understands just how much money this is, and how long it takes to work for that much money. Maybe she has friends who need yard work done, ect. Apparently he needs some tough love.
    moneymagnetmom

Answer by moneymagnetmom at 3:28 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I wish I could vote the woman above me as best answer. That was perfectly put.
    queeeeeenb

Answer by queeeeeenb at 4:06 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• The boy needs to be kept busy and he needs to make restitution

contact the Red Cross and find a babysitting class. My 13 year is a RC certified babysitter and charges $7 an hour. It turns out that parents prefer a mature young teen who knows CPR and first aid to a flighty college student. Or see if the Youth Volunteer Core is active in your area “Since 1987 YVC has been engaging 11-18 year olds in structured, supervised service learning projects in and out of school.”
    www.ycva.org.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:38 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Why is your mother letting him do this? She needs to lock her bedroom door and I would be turning his butt in to the cops and letting them deal with him. He stole and used a debit card. I wouldn't suggest babysitting, because there would be no way I would hire him to watch my kid. He is irresponsible and on the path of wrong.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:46 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• moneymagnetmom: She CAN get her money back from the purchases her son made on a debit card. Debit cards are backed by VISA or Master Card. She will have to go to her bank and fill out the correct forms and her money will be returned once the bank investigates her claim. Too many people ASSUME there is nothing that can be done with fraudulaent debit card charges but there is. I worked in banking for years and we dealt with this issue on a daily basis.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:49 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• go kick his ass.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:11 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• sorry tyfry but if the child used the mom's debit card there is a legal assumption that she okayed the use of it and the bank will NOT give back the money. We're going through this now. However, she can set limits on both the cell and debit card for such things. Tell her to talk with her bank and cell co. It happens more than you think so they have ways of protecting parents.Keep in mind tyfry, that parents are the ones responsible for their children's behavior! It's not like a stranger stole her card. I'd certainly have him work it off and ban him from the video games for a nice long time. He may be addicted to them and needs to be away from them anyway.
    Anonymous

• I think it's natural. I think kids put their parent through all kinds of shit, before they finally grow the hell up. That usually takes a while, by then your mom could be broke. LOL
    JewelBliss

Answer by JewelBliss at 12:56 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• If he's racking up bills on the phone, computer etc. Your mom needs to take all that stuff away. If he can't be responsible, he shouldn't be allowed to use them. He should also be doing something to "work off" the money. Mowing the lawn, washing the car, chores around the house. Your mom can give a dollar amount for each chore so he can work off what he owes. She can tell him that when he pays it back he can have the phone and computer again, but if he's not responsible after that then it gets taken away again for GOOD that time. That would teach the value of money, responsibility, and to appreciate the things he has all at once.
    MomOfJandM

Answer by MomOfJandM at 2:05 PM on Jul. 18, 2009