Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you revoke guardianship in new jersey?

I was appointed guardian of my niece due to her getting in serious trouble (kicked out of school district) Sister asked me to be child's guardian for school purposes. After 8 weeks in new school niece got into alot of trouble. I almost lost my job behind this child like my sister did. I gave up I told my sister I no longer wanted to be the guardian and drop the child back off at her home with her mom.

The child has been in the physcial care and custody of the mother since 2007. We never had the guardianship removed...Now niece father who also named me guardian lied to Court saying my niece lives with me but he knows she's with her mother. This is because he stop paying child support. My sister has proof that the child lives with her. What is going to happen in court? How do we reverse what we did. I don't want to deal with my niece....I need my job...I don't know what the laws are in new jersey but need help fast.....

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:06 AM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

Answers (3)
  • A legal question for sure. Usually they offer consultation for free. If you can't do that, why not call child services and state father trying to skip out on support because of guardenship due to school. I bet they could advise you your best course of action.

    Answer by moneymagnetmom at 3:15 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

  • It will all have to be done in court. Also, seeing you still have guardianship, YOU are responsible for the child. You should have went right to the family courts and filed the paperwork to revoke the guardianship. I don't know why people take thinks like this on and then turn their back on the child. Raising a child is never easy but think of how the child feels when people keep giving her away. Maybe that is part of her problem. Put the kid in counseling and find out WHY she is acting like she is. If no one wants to deal with her, then make her a ward of the state.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:44 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

  • Whoever did the guardianship papers in the beginning should have been told so the revocation could have been done immediately. Call that lawyer as quickly as possible. If you had legal guardianship why were you not receiving the child support payments? The court should have been sending them to you and not the mom.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.