has anyone ever made their own chinese food?

how did it come out>? what did u use? was it worth the effort

thank u!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:29 AM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I make fried rice. I used to live overseas. It is yummy. You can also make eggrolls, but it is so much work, it is easier to buy. I also do lots of stir fry. I buy a frozen pkg w/sause and veg. Then I add extra things such as zucchni, broccoli, snow peas, water chestnuts, peppers, etc. whatever I have or feel like. It stretches the pkg w/a big family, and you don't have to figure out all the seasoning. I always add meat chicken tenderloins or stir fry beef.
    moneymagnetmom

Answer by moneymagnetmom at 2:48 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Its never at good as home as it is in the restaurant.

sad

Cherrie522

Answer by Cherrie522 at 3:44 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Mmmm, I found a Sesame Chicken recipe that is JUST like the restaurants.  I also have an Easy Eggrolls recipe that we all enjoy.  I make a lot of stir fry too. 

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:22 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• General Tsao's Tofu
    1 box of firm or extra firm tofu
    1 egg or substitute
    3/4 cup cornstarch
    vegetable oil for frying
    3 chopped green onions
    1 Tablespoon minced ginger
    1 Tablespoon minced garlic
    2/3 cup vegetable stock
    2 Tablespoons soy sauce
    4 Tablespoons sugar
    red pepper to taste
    1 Tablespoon sherry (optional) (you can sub apple cider or white grape juice)
    1 Tablespoon white vinegar
    steamed broccoli
    cooked brown rice
    Drain, dry and cut tofu into 1 inch chunks. You can freeze tofu the night before to get a more chicken-like consistency, but it isn't necessary. Mix the egg with 3 tablespoons cold water. Dip tofu in egg/water
    mixture and coat completely. Sprinkle 3/4 cup cornstarch over tofu and coat completely. Watch out that the cornstarch doesn't clump up at the bottom of the bowl.
    Heat oil in pan and fry tofu pieces until golden. Drain oil.

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:22 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Heat 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil in pan on medium heat. Add green onions, ginger and garlic, cook for about 2 minutes. Be careful not to burn garlic. Add vegetable stock, soy sauce, sugar, red pepper and vinegar. Mix 2 Tablespoons water with 1 Tablespoon cornstarch and pour into mixture stirring well. Add fried tofu and coat evenly.
    Serve immediately with steamed broccoli over rice.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:23 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Pot Stickers With Dipping Sauce

1 cup diced tomato
    1/2 cup grated daikon
    2 tablespoons finely chopped shiso leaves
    2 tablespoons chopped green onions
    3 tablespoons lemon juice
    1/4 cup tamari or soy sauce
    1/2 teaspoon cumin seed
    1/2 teaspoon chili powder
    1/2 cup cooked brown rice
    6 ounces tofu, squeezed remove moisture
    3 tablespoons fresh shiitake mushrooms, finely chopped
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
    2 tablespoons finely chopped black olives
    1 teaspoon ground red chili pepper
    1 teaspoon sesame oil
    12 ounces pot sticker wrappers
    salad oil for frying

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:26 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• For dipping sauce, combine tomato, daikon, shiso, green onions, lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of the tamari, the cumin, and chili powder. Chill overnight. In a bowl, combine rice, tofu, mushrooms, basil, olives, chili pepper, sesame oil, and the remaining 2 tablespoons tamari. Chill for 30 minutes. Put 1 tablespoon of filling in the center of each wrapper. Dampen edges with water, fold wrapper in half, and seal edges.
    In a non-stick skillet, heat a little oil. Arrange filled pot stickers in a single layer in the skillet; cook over medium heat until the bottoms of the pot stickers are browned. Add 1/4 cup water; cover and cook on low heat for 6 minutes, or until water is evaporated. Repeat until all pot stickers are cooked. Serve with dipping sauce.
    Makes about 24 pot stickers.

• Some recipes can be hard to make because of obscure ingredients, but there are some ways to simplify asian cooking too.  Here's a couple of recipes I like a lot:

http://rowofhedges.blogspot.com/2009/03/simple-orange-chicken-noodle-bowl.html

http://www.justamomha.com/pantry-gourmet/2009/07/green-chile-coconut-curr/

justamomHA

Answer by justamomHA at 2:30 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I make chicken fried rice with cashews often. It is very good. Rinse your rice until the water runs clear before you cook it. Otherwise it will be sticky and too starchy. After it is cooked, spread it out on a baking sheet and let it cool completely. Heat up a couple T. of oil to a pan. Add some chopped onion and cook until translucent. Add the rice and drizzle with low sodium soy sauce. You can add some other ingredients if you choose. I like the bean sprouts (you can get fresh or drain off some canned ones) and bits of fried egg but you could also add a handful of thawed frozen peas and carrots. Stir fry it until everything is heated through. I cook my chicken with garlic and soy seperately and then add it to the rice. Top with cashews. Yum!
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 4:50 PM on Jul. 18, 2009