What do you think about divorce?

Personally I think it's wrong unless adultery happens or abuse. I was just wondering. I don't believe in it! I am a christian of the Lord! I try everyday to be a better person, to live, and to learn.

Hesmynavyman

Asked by Hesmynavyman at 2:53 AM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Relationships

• I am contemplating it right now if my hubby doesn't stop drinking.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:54 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I'm with you hesmynaveman

we talk a lot, if there is a problem we will talk about it and see what we can do to make it go oway
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 3:01 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I agree with you, but I think that everyone is different. I know that whatever happens I am willing to work it out with my husband. If we were to seperate, it doenst just change our live but our kids also. I love my husband every much but that isnt the only thing I think about in this situation...do I really want to share my kids, can I HANDLE sharing my kids, and how it will hurt them in life. I want my kids to know that marriage isnt just a game you can get out of by getting a divorce...it is a life long commitment, and I feel that by sticking with my husband it shows them to do the same thing.
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 3:05 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• God doesn't want you to live in an abusive situation. So there are also reasons especially safety. To divorce for other reasons usually causes other problems. You will always have problems in marriage. Maybe different ones with the next husband, but problems all the same. Now you have to deal w/blended families, kids resentment, etc. So stick to marriage if you can. After all, like I tell my children love isn't a feeling, it is a committment.
    moneymagnetmom

Answer by moneymagnetmom at 4:10 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I, too, am a Christian.

I think that there are a lot of people that rush into a marriage, and there are a lot of people that rush into a divorce (not always the same couples, btw). But, I do think there are times when it is the best thing for everyone.

There are many reasons to end a marriage that I believe God is ok with, and that we aren't really in any position to judge a marriage that isn't our own - for example, my grandmother (who, btw, did not divorce him) could have, by your definition, divorced my grandfather. He cheated on her, and he abused her and their children, and he was a pedophile. But, if you didn't live with him and weren't subjected to his abuse (or was a granddaughter that he abused...), you would never have known. To the world, he was a fine, upstanding man and a pillar in the community.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:03 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Is that why you judge people who get a divorce? Because you're a Christian? You don't believe in it? Well, too bad because it's real.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I don't like divorce...but as long as I'm not the person living in that situation, its none of my business. It saddens me to see people walk away over what are almost always communication and maturity issues. But maybe those people need to walk away, grow up and start over. And there are a lot of grey areas...I was going to give a few examples, but really there are so many. Ultimately, no, I don't advocate it or like it, but there are some legit situations where someone's quality of life is being irrepairably compromised and I can't blame them. I think its more important to work on building up your own foundation before marriage. And ultimately, regardless of how I feel, its really none of my d* business. The church teaches me not to throw stones and I take it seriously.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 8:40 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I'm Christian and I've been divorced twice, both men were abusive and controlling. I'm not a fan of divorce but I don't judge other people that get divorced because it's not my place. I do NOT believe that divorce is a SIN, so to say, but it is something that God hates (those words are in the Bible.) Divorce breaks up a family, causes bitterness and unhappiness and has long lasting effects. THAT is why God hates it, because He doesn't want us to be suffering, not because it's against His rules. I often wonder how He feels when He looks down on an unhappy, miserable marriage between two people that hate each other or where there is no more respect and trust but they stay married "because it's God's will." Sometimes those marriages can be worked out for the better but most of the times it ends up with hatred, bitterness and/or total loss of self-esteem, right until "Death do us part."
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:24 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• While I have not been divorced I do believe in divorce. For those who do decide to get divorced, I am sure they have their reasons, and it is not my place to judge them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I think there are many good people who certainly tried to make their marriage work but for one reason or another it did not work out. It doesn't make them defective in any way. Sometimes you find that your partner is not really your partner in all ways, that it is time to try harder or move on. There are other things that are equally hurtful. Continuously not being fiancially responsible, gambling, addictions to the computer, not spending time with the family, being controling but not necessarily physically abusive, not helping with the kids/chores.....all are things that can be big issues that wear you down. Each situation is private and not for me or even you to judge. Some people will not tell you why, just that it didn't work. Respect their right to privacy. You may have seen a "good man" but you don't know what goes on behind the scenes. Be supportive and not so critical - that is a good Christian.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:21 PM on Jul. 18, 2009