• In the Spotlight:

How can I get a 3 yr old to stop pounding his head on every hard surface when he gets mad?

My 3 year old son, when he gets punished for something bad, he likes to hit his head on the floor,coffee table,chairs,etc... Does anyone have any advise on to get him to stop hurting himself when he gets into trouble? I have took him to the doctor for this and they say it is "just a faze," but I believe that it is something else and I don't know what else to do. I have tried everything to get my son to stop but he won't and I think that it has gotten worse! Please help!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:05 AM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Agreed. My godson also did this, until one day he tried to do it while we were visiting friends who had a concrete back porch area. One hit on that concrete cured him, and he ended up with a big goose-egg on his head. Luckily he didn't hurt himself and now he thinks twice about doing anything like that! Most kids that I know that have done that usually grow out of it.. just ignore the behavior and once he sees its not getting him anywhere he will move on to other tactics.
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 3:33 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• My godson used to do this for attention.
    Once everyone started hard-core ignoring him when he did it, he stopped.
    Cherrie522

Answer by Cherrie522 at 3:06 AM on Jul. 18, 2009