low-fat, low-sodium, no dairy diet

Ok so my dr put me on a low-fat, low-sodium no dairy diet. Anyone got any great recipes lol?

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 3:23 AM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Well, you start to cook with lean cuts of beef & chicken & extra lean ground beef or turkey. Stop adding salt to your foods & use more spices instead. Avoid processed, convenience or fast foods like the plague.  Use salt substitute if you have to.

I went to www.recipezaar.com & searched for "low fat low sodium" & found 7 recipes.  I'm sure if you Google "low fat low sodium recipes" you'll find more.   www.zonya.com has many healthy recipes.

I think that you could make meatloaf, Swiss steak, grilled chicken breast (save some for salads!), salsa chicken (use low salt salsa) & of course salads.  Cooked dry beans & lentils are naturally low in fat & sodium.

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:23 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Whoa that sounds like the "depression" diet. Sorry to say, but dr.'s don't know a lot about nutrition. Read Nourishing Traditions.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:33 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Welcome to the world of healthy eating! Go to your library and check out cookbooks, especially ethnic cookbooks (anything by Nava Atlas will be fabulous, you can also check out her website: www.vegkitchen.com)

Essentially, you need to build your meals around fruits and vegetables (7-8 servings a day, in at least 3 different colors); whole grains (5-6 servings a day) and legumes (at least 2 servings a day)

I have a ton of family friendly recipes that will meet your needs, feel free to message me.

You can get free meal plans and recipes from Dr. McDougall, or find his books at your local library: http://www.drmcdougall.com/free.html

Answer by rkoloms at 9:20 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• We've been eating healthy for quite a while. We use low fat dairy, ground turkey, chicken breasts, whole grain breads, etc. It's just that without the use of any sauces (even like low fat ranch, or barbecue sauce or ketchup because of the sodium and fat in each one) it makes it almost impossible to cook a meal that tastes good at all. I can't even do pasta sauce anymore because seriously have you tasted pasta sauce with no sodium? But I'm sure i will figure it all out, thanks for the suggestions! Just gotta figure out how to cook with NO dairy lol. The rest is pretty easy.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:16 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• what about peanut sauce made with low sodium soy sauce?

Here is a tip on using salt. The tongue can only taste the salt on the surface of foods; so don't add salt while cooking, just sprinkle a teeny bit on foods.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:58 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I never have added salt to my food, and I don't cook with it except when necessary for a recipe like sauces and such. many of the healthier foods I already ate are however loaded with sodium (tuna, whole grain crackers, canned vegetables, pasta sauces, etc). I thought it wouldn't be that hard, but to get all 3 in one food, that's difficult. I thought peanut butter would be good cos its low in sodium but HIGH in fat, so none of that. :( Just at a loss lol.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:58 PM on Jul. 18, 2009