What are the physical signs of being an alcoholic?

Not the drinking aspect but the actual physical and visual signs. I heard they get big noses and turn red. Is this true?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:23 AM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I can tell you what happens when an alcoholic doesn't get alcohol. They get the shakes, the get moody, have physcial pain...headaches, bodyaches, etc. People who are alcoholics that drink daily and then have to go days without it, can go through DT's (severe withdrawls) and without medical help can die from the withdrawls. My brother was in the ICU for 2 days of alcohol detox and could have died if he had to go through it on his own. He doesn't even remember what happened before or after the detox...someone had to tell him. Yet, he is still drinking like before. While drinking, their skin gets thinner, their balance is off, their liver slowly dies, circles under the eyes.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:39 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• yeah and they climb down chimneys and stick glue to their beards...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:37 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• yes it is true. but im pretty sure it takes years and years to get to that point and i want to say its with hard alcohol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:56 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I know I posted my Q in here but health is not active this early. I just wanted a serious anser.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:57 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• yes, they do often get larger noses, and their blood vessels show through....but not all alcoholics, and I do think it takes a while to get this way....some become "aged" looking much before they should...many look 70 when they are 40
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 6:00 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• LOL anon 1 has me rolling... i never heard any of that! how does your nose get big?
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 6:51 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• pookipoo did you not read this moms reply to the rude answer? And you still had to come in here and add nothing. Please respect the question.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:57 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• ...i asked how your nose gets big! i was being serious! And still you had to come in here and add nothing. Please respect the question.
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 7:09 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I know with my FIL (he has been an alcoholic for many years) his skin has gotten thinner, if you poke him he bleeds.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 7:13 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Both of my mom and dad were/are alcoholics. My mom passed away this past Nov. from cancer which I'm pretty sure wasn't helped by her addiction. My dad is still an alcoholic. Neither one of them had big red noses but both of them look (looked in my mom's case) older than their years. My mom was 68 when she died and she was very thin and frail looking. To me she looked 80. Alcohol (in excess) makes you pruney - dries you out from the inside. Not a good thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:27 AM on Jul. 18, 2009