How long before you get yourself back into gear after birth?

So it's been 4 months since giving birth and I'm planning a baby shower for my SIL. I've still got the post partdum symdroms of being tired and aching feet and can't get back my old speed of doing things. And oh, don't mention the forgetfulness and everything else... So how long does it really take?? Or does it just never come back?

mschanng

Asked by mschanng at 6:00 AM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• my son is 15 months and i'm still crossing my fingers hoping 'any day now' hehe :] jk i started feeling better when my son was about a year
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 6:58 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I had a 1 year old waiting when I got home from having my second child so I didn't have any down time and I had a C-section. I was back to "normal" and doing "normal" things the second week I was home.
    RiverPhenix

Answer by RiverPhenix at 7:54 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• It can take several months to feel like your old self again. Id say if these feelings persist you should get your thyroid tested. Forgetfulness and feeling achy or 'old' are symptoms of a thyroid problem (also hair loss, inability to lose weight, brittle nails, and cold hands and feet).
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 8:41 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• it depends on the person and (IMO) the type of birth they had. i was not medicated at all and i was back to myself the next day. the forgetfulness will never go away. it's a mommy thing now.
    but, i feel if the mom had a c/s or induced labor or an epi, it takes A LOT longer for them to go back to normal.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 9:53 AM on Jul. 18, 2009