Fetus can develop memory skills...

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/07/090715074924.htm

Do you think scientific advances like these might eventually lead to redefining when life begins in the future?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:49 AM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I doubt it. I wish it would though. I remember when I was little and many suggested it wasn't a baby until it had a heartbeat. Well you rarely hear that anymore, once they discovered the baby has a beating heart at 10 days! Somehow I don't think new discoveries will change our selfishness.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:24 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Big diff between 30 weeks and 12...
    Yoshi_Yoshi

Answer by Yoshi_Yoshi at 8:30 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I think as technology and medical developments discover more and more truly wonderful and AMAZING things that are going on from the moment of conception to delivery~we will  scientifically learn that life truly does begin earlier than the law defines...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:51 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• As to when life begins, that will ALWAYS be a personal opinion...I believe it begins at birth...
    Yoshi_Yoshi

Answer by Yoshi_Yoshi at 9:53 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Funny how for many people life begins at birth - unless you are talking about an animal. So many get upset when the pound aborts puppies! (NOT talking about you Yoshi Yoshi, your comment just made me think of that)!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:54 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I believe it begins at birth with animals, too, for the record...
    Yoshi_Yoshi

Answer by Yoshi_Yoshi at 9:57 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• No problem! Thanks for responding. After I posted, I was hoping I didn't offend you. I had no idea what you believed, I just have found that interesting in the past with other people.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:01 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I've noticed it too...I've also noticed that animals are overpopulated...and so are people...
    Yoshi_Yoshi

Answer by Yoshi_Yoshi at 10:04 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• YOSHI: As to when life begins, that will ALWAYS be a personal opinion... believe it begins at birth...

So then Yoshi, why is there a, "Big diff between 30 weeks and 12"... ??????   And Legally, it isn't a personal opinion... Otherwise later term abortions wouldn't be such a 'hot' topic politically and legally.   There are laws in place to define when life begins to better set the abortion parameters. So, it is possible that scientific research could someday change laws.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:13 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I know everyone is entitled to their opinion but how in the world you can feel your baby kicking and moving, SEE it's picture on a 4D u/s machine with all it's features plain to see, and STILL think it's not a life is beyond me. I can understand (not agree with, but understand) how you can say the cells splitting or while it still can't SURVIVE out side the womb.....but saying it's not a life until it passes out of your body is very very strange to me! (con't)

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 12:13 PM on Jul. 18, 2009