How much school supplies do you have to buy?

And is there something on the list this year that wasnt on it last year or are there restrictions on what you can or cant bring to school (for instance my kids have to have clear or mesh backpacks if they show up with a regular bag then they will be sent home until they get a clear or mesh one same thing with wheels{unless they are disabled then they need special permission})

also do you nuy the tissues and hand sanitizer or is that something the school should supply?

elananme

Asked by elananme at 8:32 AM on Jul. 18, 2009 in

• I won't know what's on the list until after the first day or so. I get the basics like paper and pencils and back packs. We don't have to get the mesh ones but our dress code is pretty strict. And yes the teachers always want hand sanitizer and Kleenex. Yes, the district should provide it but the fact is they don't and then it comes out of the teachers pocket and that's not fair either.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 8:37 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• some schools requrie the clear backpack thing b/c of past issues, or for preventative

we all have to buy tissues...... they are only $1.05 at walmart
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:30 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• edit to add: we had to have clear backpacks too last year and the yar before so its not really new for us i just used it as an example casue not all school districts have that rule im just curious how other districts stand as far as what supplies they require their kids to bring and if they have something that my district and other districts dont
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 9:51 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• lol
    my son goes to private school...he needs a back back (not clear, but no wheels)
    lunch box - tissues- clorox wipes - paper towels - baby wipes - small dry erase board with lines - dry erase markers and eraser - pensils - colored pensils, thick and thin markers - erasers - bible - tissues
    i think thats all :)
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:58 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• NONE. My daughter is 28 years old. LOL
    JewelBliss

Answer by JewelBliss at 11:44 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• For my second grader:
    Backpack
    1 notebook
    pack of crayons
    pack of pencils
    scissors
    pack of glue sticks
    pencil box
    pack of dry erase markers
    2 boxes of Kleenex
    2 containers of Clorox wipes
    1 roll of paper towels

I don't know yet what my youngest will need. He's going into his second year of pre-k. Last year they didn't have a list so I brought a bunch of snacks like big boxes of Goldfish crackers and granola from Costco, some Kleenex, Clorox wipes, paper towels, etc.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:05 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• As a K teacher I ask my students to bring in
    -glue sticks
    - pencils
    - cap erasers
    - tissue
    - sanitizer
    - backpack
    - journal
    - storage bags (sandwich size for girls, gallon for boys)
    - pack of index cards
    I provide a lot things for my students, pencil boxes, regular glue, scissors, crayons (in the 8 basic colors, if they want the other colors they have to bring them in), folders and a last year a binder for their school provided planner to go in. Through the year I ask for parents to send in more gluesticks, tissue and sanitizer as we run out. Last year my sons teacher had a wish list with different things on it she would like for the parents to donate, like colored paper, clorox wipes, markers, etc. I think I may include a wish list this year too. Times are tough for everyone, teachers too who often spend a lot of their own money to buy needed items for the classroom. My supply budget got cut this year too : (
    garynjakesmom

Answer by garynjakesmom at 3:41 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I have to spend a lot on school supplies I have 4 in school. I know they have to have the basics and i dont mind buying what they need but what we have to buy for the teachers to keep is outragous. For example last year my 5th grader had to take 2 packs of pencils for the homeroom teacher to keep and one day while I was in the class I noticed a bin with all the pencils and a sign out sheet if you borrow one and if you dont sign it back in you get in trouble and after 3 times D-hall! They even ask for highlighters for their own use. Even ask for dry board markers. Makes me wonder where our taxes are going if we have to buy the teachers supplies too.
    heavenlypeace

Answer by heavenlypeace at 10:28 PM on Jul. 18, 2009

• edit to add:
    teachers:
    in kindergarten do you mix supplies or does each child keep their own items?
    AT my sons kindergarten they combine all the supplies and in general the idea of sharing doesnt bother me what bothers me (in our area) is that there are alot of people that wont buy the suppies and expect evryone else to make up the difference.
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 10:02 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• The things like glue sticks and pencils we put in a big container and get them out as we need them, I just bought 100 glue sticks for my class last night and I'm going to buy binders today, if it something like a notebook or journal the child that brought it in gets it if someone doesn't bring something in for what ever reason can't afford it or just sorry parents I'll give them one, I buy extras of things when I'm getting my sons things so if someone needs something I'll have it to give them. In my district we get $300 to buy our supplies with and that is a lot more than some districts, believe me $300 doesn't go very far when you are buying for a whole class.
    garynjakesmom

Answer by garynjakesmom at 10:25 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

Next question in
school.

Next question overall (Just for Fun)
travling to Norfolk, VA