Which procedure would you choose for Uterine Fibroids?

I have a 5cm uterine fibroid tumor in my uterus and a small cyst on my ovary. My OB says that I have two choices for treatment. I have to remove the tumor which is benign, but is causing heavy bleeding each month. So much so that I am very anemic. The two choices are: A D&C followed by an Ablation that will burn the walls of the uterus completely out. OR a complete Hysterectomy including ovaries. I am 46 years old, have two girls ages 11 and 8, so I am finished having children. Does anyone know about either procedure and have any advice about which one to have! I am having trouble deciding! Thanks!

LovetoTeach247

Asked by LovetoTeach247 at 8:33 AM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Health

• Why don't the doctor just remove the tumors ? I had laparoscopic surgery to remove fibroid.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• i'd probally go with the removal of the tumor b/c i wouldn't want to be on hormone therapy following a total hysterectomy
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:01 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I had fibroids all over my uterus,and my periods were just debilitating every month. Two years ago, I went to my GYN,and told him I just wanted it all to stop. So, we did a total hysterectomy, ( I was 42),and in the process, he also discovered I had an undiagnosed hernia,which another surgeon came in and repaired at the same time, and the pathology report showed I had Endometriosis (no wonder my periods were an exercise in terror every month!). I was on HRT for awhile,but didn't care for the way they made me feel,so I haven't taken anything since. I really don't deal with alot of Menopause problems. Hot flashes every now and then, but nothing serious. The sex drive wasn't affect all that much, either. And, the best part was, I didn't realize how many problems I was having,till I didn't have them anymore,and I don't miss periods at all. Best wishes to you, hope it all works out.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 9:08 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I had both problems as well. I chose D&C and never had another problem. I think complete hysterectomies cause more problems then they cure. With kids you want quick healing time. The D&C will do that. I vote no on the hyst.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:01 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I would choose the D&C and ablation. It's only about half an hour for surgery and the recovery shouldn't last long at all, whereas the recovery from a hysterectomy is pretty major. Also, I can't take any sort of hormone, so hormone replacement is out for me. I'm planning to have an ablation in September. I was all set for it last November and then lost my insurance.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:44 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Thanks Ladies! I guess my biggest concern with the D&C/Ablation option is whether I will have to repeat any part of the process in a few years! Sometimes unless you have a complete hysterectomy, fibroids and cysts come back. Have you heard of that happening often?
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 4:06 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I have. And,that's one of the main reasons I opted for the hysterectomy. Sure,there was more recovery,but I also eliminated 3 possibilities of cancer (uterine,cervical,and ovarian),which run in my family. I really hope you find the answers you need,and get to feeling better. You'll be in my thoughts,and prayers.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 7:46 AM on Jul. 19, 2009

• I had a hysterectomy in 2000 when I was 30. Never regretted it. Have been on HRT's for several years now with no issues.
    Good luck and if you have any questions feel free to send me a message!
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 10:07 AM on Jul. 21, 2009