Do you run your own business? If so....(I posted this question before, but apparently I need to clarify what I meant)

Is it a home-based business, or do you work from another location?
What do you sell and/or what service do you provide?
Why did you decide to start your own business?
Has the experience been profitable/enjoyable?

By "run your own business", I mean something that YOU started from the ground up all by yourself (or with a spouse or friend). You know, like if you own a coffee house, or a real estate office, or if you sell handmade clothes in an online store like Etsy.

I am NOT refering to third party selling (like Avon, or Iggly Biggly) or online things like Cha Cha and Ameriplan (though I am happy for you if you do this and it works). I am curious as to how many of you actually fully own a business (or own it with a spouse or friend).

EternalChild86

Asked by EternalChild86 at 9:10 AM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Dog Training. In the owners home. It's an easy business...who doesn't love dogs? There's nothing to sell, they already have the product, they just want to learn to make it part of their family in a nice way.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 9:13 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I do. I am a bridal consultant and I work out of my home office. And I make okay money. I do low cost and green weddings.

However, there is something you need to understand, there is nothing less legit about home businesses. I have 2 of those. I find it a little insulting that you seem to think a home business doesn't count just because we don't own the company. You said, do you own a business, not do you own a store or do you own a company... These are businesses too. I can't imagine you would consider McDonalds less legit because the owner only owns one store and not the company, right? They why is it different with any other. Honey, many of us own our own businesses, and that's just what they are - OUR businesses! We are proud of that, and to say that they aren't up to par with what you consider a business just shows your lack of education!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:17 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• My husband and I own an Italian Restaurant. We didnt start it ourselves, but my father in law started it from the ground up about 25 years ago when he moved here from Italy
    mommyBrooke849

Answer by mommyBrooke849 at 9:17 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• DH and I run a service biz. We started it about 5 years ago. We had been in this industry before, so we knew it well. We figured with his technical skills and my customer service/management skills, we could probably do a pretty good job w/ our own company. It started slow, but we worked very hard and built it up and we do pretty well financially (just shy of 6-figures--hoping to hit that magic number next year!) My office is in my home--a desk, computer, filing systems, etc., along with a business phone line.Advantages--no childcare costs, no work wardrobe to buy, no commute, can do laundry during work lulls. Disadvantages: separation of work/personal life, feeling like business has taken over house, feelings of isolation, arguing w/DH about work-related issues, spend a LOT of time w/ DH. Overall it's been good though--I know there's nothing else my DH and I could be doing to make as much $ as we do with this.
    Anonymous

• Oh please, SabrinaBowen: the OP is absolutely correct in stating that buying an AVON start up kit for $10 bucks and pedaling cosmetics is NOT the same as starting a company from scratch. We took out a 2nd mortgage on our home to purchase all of our business equipment, insurance, licenses, etc. I have friends who do MaryKay, Avon, Arbonne, Pampered Chef...it is completely different. Becoming a member of an MLM does not really make you a "business owner"...not a real one anyway.
    Anonymous

• All right, I knew that, even though I said that I was happy for anyone who does something like Avon, someone was going to get offended. I think that such ventures are great. They provide people with income supplement that is very helpful in this economy. I in no way meant that it makes you less of a business woman or less of a person if you are involved with one of those businesses. I simply posted this question because I am thinking of starting up a business, and it caused me to wonder if any other moms on here have started a "from scratch" business of their OWN design.
    EternalChild86

Answer by EternalChild86 at 1:03 PM on Jul. 18, 2009