Has anybody experienced divorce during pregnancy?

Pretty self explanatory, but has anybody ever filed for divorce while pregnant? How did it go? What would a lawyer say about it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Relationships

• I didn't get a divorce but I broke off an engagement because I busted him for cheating on me. I didn't need an attorney, I got child support and sole custody. I refused to sign the papers at the court commissioners office until they stated that I have sole custody. The commissioner laughed, the attorney for child support laughed, my caseworker said,"She's not kidding". Thank god, I did that. Daddy Dearest hasn't been around in 13 years but I still get child support.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:56 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Most judges will ask you to wait till the pregnancy is over cause pregnancy hormones cause people to break up all the time then when the baby is born they get back together. I am not saying that all will but most suggest to wait till baby is born
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 11:11 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• you can't get a divorce without an attorney when children and real estate is owned together. Most states won't allow a divorce while pregnant. You could go for a legal separation then get the divorce after the baby is born. I guess you could actually file for the divorce now but doubt if they finalize it until after the birth. It's best to call a lawyer. They can answer that question over the phone for free. You can also go to free legal websites like www.avvo.com (2 v's not a w) and ask an attorney or www.womenslaw.org and go to "know the law" and see if they have the info there.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:12 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• My state does not permit even filing for divorce during pregnancy. You can file the very day after you have given birth, but not while pregnant.
    Anonymous

• We divorced while I was pregnant with our twins. We decided to put the kids first and agreed to shared custody. I had breast cancer and a mastectomy so I was not breastfeeding. He works from home so he was able to have the kids one week 4 days me 3. The next week I had them 4 days he had them 3. He moved two blocks from me so the kids are able to be around their friends no matter who has them. It has been 7 years we are both remarried and don't stick to a strict visitation schedule. The kids like being with him and like being with me so they go where they want to be. It works out about equal but even when it doesn't we both remember it isn't about us it is about the kids. We sat down and decided on the rules between the houses and did it again when he got married then later when I got married. It was not easy but when you love your kids more than you dislike your ex you can make it work.
    Anonymous

• I filed for divorce while pregnant (hubby up and disappeared) and I had to wait until after the baby was born for it to be finalized so they could set up child support if the baby lived. That was a joke! They never found him so they could never get child support from him.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 1:30 PM on Jul. 18, 2009