Tourniquet? NOT an emerg. I was watching repeat Burn Notice and

Michael put a tourniquet on another character. The other guy was shot in the leg. How come the tourniquet was put above the wound? Can you please refresh my first aid? I thought it should go below to help keep the wound from hemmoraging and loosing blood to keep as much blood as possible from the wound closer to the heart and brain. Not the opposite so the wound looses blood. ?? Just wonderin.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Health

• to preserve any parts that can be saved i think
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:59 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• You'd put it between the wound and the heart to keep the blood in the body. Otherwise the heart would keep pushing blood out through the wound. But they say that tourniquets can cause loss of a limb so shouldn't be used. Pressure directly on the wound instead, use a piece of cloth.

Answer by Bmat at 10:03 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Blood flows from the heart (center) outward towards the limbs. Applying a tourniquet ABOVE the wound prevents blood from continuing to "leak" out of the wound! Think of a garden hose that has sprung a leak...would you kink the hose above or below the hole to stop the flow of water?

The thing with applying a tourniquet is you can expect to lose AT LEAST 6 inches ABOVE the site when the tourniquet was applied (usually to the next joint) due to necrosis (death) of the tissues, muscles and blood vessels that were deprived of oxygenated blood.

(I'm a former paramedic!) :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:03 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I love that show but i dont watch for its accuracy!!!! any way i was always taught above the wound to keep it from bleeding and most places now teach direct pressure to the wound
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 10:10 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• A tourniquet is put above the wound to stop the blood from gushing out of the wound. I don't think you are supposed to use one except in emergency situations because if the blood flow is stopped for too long, the limb can be lost.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:25 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• hmmm ok so where this character's tourniquet was put is correct? he was shot in the leg between his knee and his groin. Michael on Burn Notice put the tourniquet between the shot and groin. I thought it should go between the shot and his knee so he wouldn't hemmorage from loss of blood. Wouldn't the tourniquet placed between shot spot and groin make the wound bleed out even more?
    Anonymous