Safe to breastfeed?

my daughter is almost 5 months old, and i just found out im pregnant again. is it safe to breastfeed while im pregnant?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Jul. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes, absolutely! Your body will adjust to the change, to give just what your 5 mo old needs, and still be getting ready for the new baby. There are many extended breastfeeders on cafemom who've breastfed their newborns AND their older babies. You can do both :D
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 10:19 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• YES!!!! don't let your dr scare you away from it either. my ob told me at my yearly checkup that i would need to stop bfing if i was to get pregnant again. a load of BS is what that is.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 10:29 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I was planning to wean her around 10 or 11 months. I was just worried that I would go into pre-term labor because of how breastfeeding contracts the uterous.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Mayo Clinic says it should be fine if you don't have a history of pre term labor already.  Check out the link.  Google breastfeeding while pregnant and you'll get some more answers along those lines.  The rule of thumb is supposed to be... if it's safe for you to have sex, it's also safe to breastfeed.

motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 11:05 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• Yes it should be safe for you to breastfeed, but you may experience a drop in supply due to the pregnancy
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:40 PM on Jul. 18, 2009